News

Saanich sexual assault case earns offender 'dangerous offender' status

A 2009 sexual assault trial that ended in the conviction of Robert Charles Lawrence helped Crown counsel successfully seek dangerous offender designation for the 34-year-old offender.

B.C. Supreme Court Justice Keith Bracken last week declared Lawrence a dangerous offender.

"Whenever we seek a dangerous offender designation we look at the background of the accused, the seriousness of the offence he's been convicted of, and the potential risk that individual presents in committing serious personal injury offences in the future," said B.C. Crown spokesperson Neil MacKenzie.

In July 2008, Saanich police charged Lawrence with sexual assault and overcoming resistance by strangulation. A 2009 trial found him guilty.

Bracken sentenced Lawrence to an indeterminate amount of time in a federal prison.

kslavin@saanichnews.com

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

B.C. hockey league has enough of angry parents
 
Target to close all stores in Canada, including 19 in B.C.
 
Eggs-treme reaction to new Creme Egg recipe
Cowichan makes list of Canada’s top 20 destinations
 
Market Square fire displaces college
 
Shelter, meal providers see huge demand
Couple learns to cope with PTSD
 
This and That, January 21
 
Sooke says goodbye to a special food icon

Community Events, January 2015

Add an Event

Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Jan 23 edition online now. Browse the archives.