Forty years later, Paul’s drive-in returns to downtown Victoria

Unique restaurant idea was popular on opening weekend

Carhop Cat Parker hands a root beer float to Gerald Mikkers at the newly opened Paul's Drive In on Sunday. The drive-in

A 1931 Ford Model A truck was the first to ceremoniously pull into the reopened drive-in last Saturday at Paul’s Motor Inn.

The original drive-in closed in 1972, but the restaurant, with its retro style still clearly visible through big windows facing Douglas Street, has operated at the front of the motel since then.

Paul’s has brought car-hop service back for the summer on weekends as a way to celebrate the restaurant’s 60th anniversary.

Some of the original carhops were brought back for the reopening, which proved so popular on the first day that the restaurant ran out of hamburger and fries and had to shut down three hours earlier than planned.

The closure back in 1972 predates the birth of the new drive-in staff.

During their interview for the job, the first question they faced from general manager Michael King was ‘What’s a car hop?’

“A lot of them didn’t know what it was,”King said.

The drive-in has 17 parking slots and five picnic tables.

“If it takes off and there’s enough call for it, we’ll do it again next summer,” said King.

The drive-in is open for carhop service from 4 to 11 p.m. Fridays, 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. Saturdays and 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Sundays until Sept. 30.

Just Posted

McClure house fire saw Victoria firefighters utilize drone for first time in live situation

Aerial device feeds intel to crews to help formulate firefighting action plans

Victoria beer leaguer turns heads as Joe Thornton doppleganger

Joe Thornton lookalike from Victoria makes it on

Jazz songstress Ellen Doty brings her sweet sound to Hermann’s Jazz Club

March 27 concert in Victoria part of national CD realease tour

Victoria says #NeverAgain in solidarity with March For Our Lives

Youth Political Commons invites public to rally against gun violence March 24 at legislature

Why are these Saanich lots still sitting vacant?

Mayfair Lanes lot still empty, 12 years later

Submariners come home after 197-day deployment

Tears and laughter filled the jetty where emotional friends and family welcomed the HMCS Submarine Chicoutimi

B.C. Scientists witness first-ever documented killer whale infanticide

“It’s horrifying and fascinating at the same time.”

Charges formally laid against Nanaimo city manager

City of Nanaimo CAO Tracy Renee Samra charged with fear of injury/damage by another person

Okanagan Falls winery showing international photo project

Liquidity Wines will be sole Canadian show of National Geographic’s Photo Ark

Lawyer for one suspect in beating of man with autism says he’s not guilty

Ronjot Singh Dhami will turn himself in, lawyer said

Liberals awarded $100,000 contract to man at centre of Facebook data controversy

Christopher Wylie says his voter-profiling company collected private information from 50 million Facebook users

Facebook’s Zuckerberg admits mistakes in privacy scandal

Zuckerberg admits to privacy scandal involving a Trump-connected data-mining firm, but no apology

UPDATE: Former B.C. city councillor sentenced nine months for sexual assault

Dave Murray, convicted this past fall, hired a private investigator to intrude on the victim’s life.

Online threat to U.S. high school traced to Canadian teen

A 14-year-old girl has been charged in connection with an online threat against a high school

Most Read