Cadboro Bay’s historic St. George’s Anglican Church is in the final touches of its $1.2 million narthex addition.
A grand opening to celebrate the narthex, which is church-speak for an entrance or welcome area, is set for Sept. 13.
That morning members of the church will also lay the final cornerstone, part of a ceremonial blessing and dedication by visiting Bishop Logan McMenamie.
The narthex is a large, bright welcoming space located in front of the sanctuary and its uses are multifaceted.
It will serve for a multiple of congregational and community events, such as musical performances, coffee and conversation groups, meetings, classes or lectures, and special social occasions. It also adds an outdoor patio under a shady tree, as well as a meeting space, a small kitchen and a new set of accessible washrooms.
When construction started back in January workers discovered a time capsule behind the former cornerstone, laid April 21, 1951, when the previous church building was completed.
Inside was a glass bottle with the front page of the Victoria Daily Times, two church bulletins and an assortment of coins.
Sixty-four years later, St. George’s will place an updated time capsule behind the new cornerstone.
The church’s programs continue to grow and include groups for children, youth university students and adults. Weekly activities range from charitable outreach and volunteering, spiritual growth ministries, social events and educational opportunities.
The Sept. 13 ceremony is at 10 a.m. The church will open its doors again on Sept. 19 for a community open house and barbecue at 11 a.m.
The public is invited to attend both events at the church located at 3909 St. George’s Lane.