The cemetery at St. Luke’s has been of some of Saanich’s earliest families for more than 150 years, and now the Cedar Hill church is hosting cleanups of the burial grounds over the summer.
The Anglican church has cleanups scheduled for the third Saturday of each month, with dates set for June 18, July 16 and Aug. 20. Cleanups are held from 9 to 11:30 a.m., with a break for refreshments and a chance to visit.
St. Luke’s history with Saanich dates back to 1861, when Anthony Elliott, who had just returned from the Cariboo Gold Rush and heard of the church’s needs, donated seven acres to St. Luke’s, one of which was used for the church and churchyard.
The church is reaching out to community members to help pitch in for the cleanups, which offer a chance to learn about the history of the St. Luke’s cemetery. For more information, visit stlukesvictoria.ca or call 250-477-6741.