This March, the Greater Victoria Eldercare Foundation and our Vancouver Island community partners will celebrate the 10th Annual Embrace Aging Month, a time dedicated to connecting seniors and their families with resources, activities and educational opportunities available to help navigate and embrace the journey of aging.
Embrace Aging is for young and old alike. After all, we’re all aging from the day we are born.! There is so much to see and do and most of the events and sessions are free of charge or by donation.
Here are just a few highlights to pique your interest:
Yakimovich Wellness Centre, 1454 Hillside Ave. There are over 30 interesting and informative sessions scheduled during March. All sessions are free but registration is required.
Also check out an exhibition at the Community Arts Council of Greater Victoria gallery, Cedar Hill Recreation Centre, which runs March 19 to April 2.
The exhibition features a variety of works created by extended care residents from Aberdeen Hospital and guests. Join us March 19 at 1:30 p.m. for the opening reception and meet these talented artists.
In addition to those listed above, there are many more free events, activities, webinars and tele-workshops offered throughout Vancouver Island. I encourage you to explore the possibilities, make connections and discover the wealth of resources available year-round in your community to help you Be Well; Be Secure; Be Connected and Be Enriched.
For Embrace Aging Month details and the full calendar of events, visit our website at gvef.org or call us at 250-370-5664.
Embrace Aging calendar
- Friday, March 6, 1:30 to 3 p.m. – Meditation: Finding Peace in Our Lives. Presenter: Neil McKinlay, Senior Teacher, Dharma Ocean
- Monday, March 16, 1:30 to 3 p.m. – Topic: Healthy Eating for Your Bones. Presenter: Anna Wren RD, Masters Public Health
- Wednesday, March 18, 2 to 3:30 p.m. – Topic: Prepare, Beware, Don’t Despair: Drivers 55+. Presenter: Steve Wallace, Wallace Driving School
- Tuesday, March 24, 6:30 to 8 p.m. – Topic: Eye Health: Our Aging Eyes. Presenter: Dr. Mark Paquette, BSc, OD
- Friday, March 27, 10 a.m. to noon – Topic: Ins and Outs of Pharmacare. Presenter: Lynn Pollock, Clinical Pharmacist and Health Educator
- Tuesday, March 31, 2 to 3:30 p.m. – Topic: What Makes a Community Age-Friendly? Presenter: Dr. Elaine Gallagher RN, BSN, MS, PhD