Enter Oak Bay Tourism’s writing contest and you could win $500 and see your submission published in the Oak Bay News. (Christine van Reeuwyk/Oak Bay News)

Enter Oak Bay Tourism’s writing contest and you could win $500 and see your submission published in the Oak Bay News. (Christine van Reeuwyk/Oak Bay News)

Write about Oak Bay to win $500

Winner earns cash and placement in the Oak Bay News

Enter Oak Bay Tourism’s writing contest and you could win $500 and see your submission published in the Oak Bay News.

“The contest is open to absolutely anyone with a story to share about Oak Bay,” says Kira Harris, marketing and communications manager for Oak Bay Tourism.

The theme is simply Oak Bay Stories and offers an opportunity for locals, business owners, students, and visitors to share what you think visitors should discover about Oak Bay.

“The goal is to engage with our community and regular visitors to share what they love about Oak Bay to others,” Harris says. “For us as marketers, it will help us learn more about what people take home from being in Oak Bay that lingers in their memories.”

All stories must be original and should not have been previously published elsewhere. Participants may submit multiple articles and ask for feedback.

Oak Bay Tourism will have the right to publish or use the awarded stories on its website. All writers and photographers would be credited. The winning submission takes home $500 and will be published in the Oak Bay News. Runner-up submissions will be featured on OakBayTourism.com and win $75

Visit oakbaytourism.com/writing-contest/ for a list of story ideas and contest details.

“They would not be fiction, but articles about experiences in Oak Bay, favourite things to do and see in Oak Bay, or a bit about history and heritage,” Harris says.

The writing contest runs to March 20, 2018.


 

@OakBayNews
cvanreeuwyk@oakbaynews.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Just Posted

Kay Gallivan paints a mural on the east wall of North Park’s Tiny Home Village (Kiernan Green / Victoria News Staff)
North Park Tiny Home Village opens at Royal Athletic Park lot to 30 unhoused

Residents will settle into new private units and the North Park community over the weekend

Commonwealth Place recreation centre was shut down before 8 a.m. on Friday following a power outage. (Saanich Parks, Recreation and Community Services/Twitter)
Saanich Commonwealth Place closed due to power outage, outdoor classes still running

Indoor classes, programs at pool and weight room halted

The woman also received distracted driving tickets in 2018 and 2019. (Black Press File Photo)
Oak Bay driver gets third distracted driving ticket in four years

Officer caught the woman using her phone while at the wheel

Daily confirmed COVID-19 cases reported to B.C. public health, seven-day rolling average in white, to May 12, 2021. (B.C. Centre for Disease Control)
B.C. preparing ‘Restart 2.0’ from COVID-19 as June approaches

Daily infections fall below 500 Friday, down to 387 in hospital

Sinikka Gay Elliott was reported missing on Salt Spring Island on Wednesday, May 12. (Courtesty Salt Spring RCMP)
MISSING: Salt Spring RCMP find woman’s car, still seek Island resident

Sinikka Gay Elliott is 5’3” with a slim build and dark brown short hair

Anyone with information on any of these individuals is asked to call 1-800-222-TIPS (8477) or visit the website victoriacrimestoppers.ca for more information.
Greater Victoria Crime Stoppers wanted list for the week of May 11

Greater Victoria Crime Stoppers is seeking the public’s help in locating the… Continue reading

A Saanich man received almost 10 years in Supreme Court in Courtenay for a shooting incident from 2018. Record file photo
Shooting incident on Island nets almost 10-year sentence

Saanich man was arrested without incident north of Courtenay in 2018

Bradley Priestap in an undated photo provided to the media some time in 2012 by the London Police Service.
Serial sex-offender acquitted of duct tape possession in B.C. provincial court

Ontario sex offender on long-term supervision order was found with one of many ‘rape kit’ items

Rich Coleman, who was responsible for the gaming file off and on from 2001 to 2013, was recalled after his initial testimony to the Cullen Commission last month. (Screenshot)
Coleman questioned over $460K transaction at River Rock during B.C. casinos inquiry

The longtime former Langley MLA was asked about 2011 interview on BC Almanac program

Steven Shearer, <em>Untitled. </em>(Dennis Ha/Courtesy of Steven Shearer)
Vancouver photographer’s billboards taken down after complaints about being ‘disturbing’

‘Context is everything’ when it comes to understanding these images, says visual art professor Catherine Heard

Most Read