If September has you wondering how you might make your home a little more inviting for fall and winter, the solution might be easier than you think.
In fact, you can change the look of your home’s interior quite dramatically with a few simple projects … and you can do it in time for the coming holiday season, says Joshua Farquharson, manager of Windsor Plywood on Keating X Road.
“With the Internet and things like Pinterest, it’s easy for people to get inspired about the possibilities, and we have many of them right here,” Farquharson says.
- Doors. Living with original doors, or those installed in a long-ago “update?” Door styles have undergone a dramatic shift in recent years, Farquharson says. Forget those textured colonial-style bifolds with matching interior doors. Manufacturers are creating a wide variety of options, from sleek and contemporary to traditional Craftsman, and you can see many of them right in the store, including the popular “barn door” styles. Today, what was one of the most overlooked of easy home updates is now an easy project, especially for those who can work with the existing door frame. Simply bring existing doors to Windsor and they can machine new doors to the same specifications for an easy – and more affordable – install.
- Door hardware. With new doors comes new hardware – a functional accessory that can brighten home hallways and living areas with style. “A lot of people have knobs they hate and it’s an easy fix,” Farquharson says. Certain hardware styles, like levers, are also designed to make life easier for those with arthritis, where a traditional knob can be difficult to open. And don’t forget new hinges, which can wear over time.
- Mouldings. While many homeowners in Greater Victoria are choosing the straight, deep mouldings that suit both traditional and modern design, manufacturers are experimenting with more options for those interested in something a little different, Farquharson notes. Crown moulding, floor trim and window and door casings are the finishing touches to a room and can offer a unique look. Today’s mouldings are typically primed MDF, for affordable longevity.
- Flooring. One of the newest innovations in flooring has been long-lasting vinyl plank, which over the last five years has overtaken laminate in popularity, especially with quality options for the do-it-yourselfer. For those who appreciate the look of wood, engineered flooring continues to gain interest, as it allows for a wider plank than traditional hardwood.
- Live-edge wood. Whether for a new counter, table or mantel, beautiful live-edge wood lets you make create a true outside-in statement piece – one that’s unique to your home. Need ideas? Get inspired by Windsor’s in-store showpieces.
Windsor Plywood, 2120 Keating X Rd., specializes in interior and exterior home finishing products including flooring, doors, mouldings, wood products and hard-to-source products. Any questions? Just ask! The Windsor experts are happy to help.