Whether you’re easing back into a low-impact fitness routine or adding something new to your regular program, your Saanich pool may be the perfect place to do it.
Waterfit offers many benefits: as a low-impact activity with built-in resistance from the water, it allows you to tone, strengthen and increase intensity without added pressure on your joints.
And with 25 waterfit, water walking, running and fitness classes each week at Saanich Commonwealth Place and another 13 at Gordon Head, plus lap swimming and Everyone Welcome times to work out on your own, water activities let you stay active at every age. Plus, they’re all available with your Saanich Access Pass!
“No matter where you’re starting from, we have a waterfit class for your fitness level,” says Saanich Fitness Programmer Anne Marie Holt.
- Low-impact training: Whether you need an activity that’s easier on your knees, or you’re an active runner looking for a low-impact cross-training activity, waterfit works. From shallow waterfit classes to more intense Power Waterfit, all are very easy on the joints. “If you want to work harder you can get a really good workout,” Holt says.
- You don’t need to swim: Programs range from shallow-water aerobics-type classes to deep-water programs that do a lot to boost your core strength; all are accessible to both swimmers and non-swimmers. “By using a flotation belt, even if you can’t swim, your head is above water during deep-water programs,” Holt says. You don’t even have to get your hair wet!
- Resistance is a good thing: Every time you move through the water, you’re enjoying the benefits of resistance. In the deep-water classes, the effort to keep your feet beneath you also ensures a good core workout.
- Value-added programming: While your Access Pass lets you drop in to numerous classes across the two pools, several additional programs are also available with your pass plus $3.25. Try Aqua Strength and Stretch and Deep Water Conditioning.
- Help getting started: Saanich’s waterfit programs are known for their welcoming and friendly instructors, but if you’re uncertain about jumping right in, call to arrange a one-on-one session. An hour of instruction is just $30, and will have you feeling comfortable with the routine and feel of the flotation belt, if needed.
“Waterfit is really something people have to come out and try,” Holt says, suggesting starting with a 10X Access Pass that you can also use for a friend or partner to join you. You can even finish your class with a visit to the steam room, sauna or hot tub.
Get your Access Pass today!
Your Saanich Access Pass offers 31 different drop-in activities weekly at four centres, including fitness, sports, swims and skates. Check out the activity calendars online, then buy your pass online or at any Saanich rec centre. Find a good selection of passes to choose from, with something for every budget, including a monthly payment plan for some passes. Learn more at saanich.ca/recreation