When’s the last time you laced up for a spin around the rink?
Maybe you’ve brought the kids for skating lessons or to an Everyone Welcome skates at Pearkes Recreation Centre, but did you know you could drop in to figure skating and hockey too? And you can do it all with your Saanich Access Pass (in addition to swimming, weight rooms and drop-in fitness, yoga and sports programs)!
“We’re a safe, welcoming facility, with friendly staff who are available to offer tips and suggestions. You’ll get some exercise in while having fun,” says Lisa Hackwell, skating programmer with Saanich Recreation.
Here’s a look at what on at the rink:
- Everyone Welcome – This all-ages fun skate for beginners through advanced skaters even includes some Friday night theme skates, several weekly low-cost options for those opting for single drop-in. Add a coffee or treat from the concession and you have a fun, affordable way to enjoy some fun with family or friends.
- Parent & Tot: If you have a youngster (under age six) who loves being on the ice – or wants to practice – Parent & Tot Ice Play offers fun hockey play and other activities. “This is for the little ones so we put out all the toys. Many young families enjoy this skate,” Hackwell says.
- Adult Skate & Adult Figure Skating: The coffee is on during the Adult Skate sessions, offering the chance for a turn around the rink and a real sense of community, Hackwell says. And for those who need a little refresher, private lessons can be arranged. “Some of the adults have been skating for years, others have come back to an activity they loved when younger and some are putting on skates for the first time.”
- Adult hockey: You’ve got two choices here – Duffer Adult Hockey and Stick & Puck, both for those age 19+. Offered four days each week, Duffer Hockey is popular with recreational players. With space for only 20 players and two goalies, space is first-come, first-served, with call-in registration on the morning of the skate; full gear is required. Call-in morning registration is also required for the more casual Stick & Puck, and note that helmets, gloves, stick and skates are required.
- Rentals & sharpening available: If you don’t have your own equipment, rental skates and helmets are available at the skate shop. You can also bring your own skates for sharpening – contact Pearkes for available sharpening times.
Get your Access Pass today!
Your Saanich Access Pass offers 31 different drop-in activities weekly at four centres, including fitness, sports, swims and skates. Check out the activity calendars online, then buy your pass online or at any Saanich recreation centre. Find a good selection of passes to choose from, with something for every budget, including a monthly payment plan for some passes. Learn more at saanich.ca/recreation