With dozens of fitness classes scheduled throughout the day at Saanich’s recreation centres, chances are your next favourite program is just waiting to be discovered.
“Right now, there are 80 drop-in fitness classes and 40 waterfit classes each week between Saanich’s four centres,” notes Saanich Fitness Programmer Anne Marie Holt.
While many classes run across the four centres, some are unique – spin classes at G.R. Pearkes, barre fitness at Saanich Commonwealth Place and TRX classes at Gordon Head and Saanich Commonwealth Place.
Even better? You can try them all with your Saanich Access Pass!
“We try to follow the trends and adapt our classes where we can, but community centres excel at core fitness,” Holt says, highlighting the numerous aerobic, strength training and stretching programs for all ages and fitness levels.
Here are a few other things you might not know about Saanich Recreation fitness programs:
- Aerobics is still IN: While programs are always being added or adapted, one of the core fitness programs remains the aerobics class. In fact, the 9 to 10 a.m. Hi/Lo group aerobics class at Saanich Commonwealth Place has run since the centre first opened 25 years ago!
- Boost for brain health: Research shows aerobics-type classes, with footwork and routines to follow, are also good for brain health and memory.
- Strength training for all: Strength training classes are popular with everyone from seniors wanting to boost balance and core strength to runners and swimmers cross-training with body weight exercises.
- Stretch it out: Stretch classes offer the benefits of full-body stretching without a full yoga class.
- Teens welcome: Teens 13+ are encouraged to come to any Saanich fitness classes.
- Bring baby: Mom & Babe Circuit, Mom & Babe Waterfit and Mom & Babe Pilates classes can help new moms get back to fitness and meet other moms. Babies up to 18 months old are welcome. Weekday morning childminding is also available at Commonwealth Place for an additional fee for those working out onsite.
- Access more: Some registered classes, like TRX body suspension training and HIIT high-intensity interval training, also accept Access Pass drop-ins when space is available, for an additional charge of $3.25.
Find your next favourite fitness class online or check out the Active Living Guide for programs and intensities, but modifications can be shown in all classes.
Get your card today!
Your Saanich Access Pass offers a wide variety of different drop-in activities weekly at four centres, including fitness, weight room, sports, swims and skates. Check out the activity calendars online, then buy your pass online or at any Saanich recreation centre. Find a good selection of passes to choose from, with something for every budget, including a monthly payment plan for some passes. Learn more at saanich.ca/recreation