Son of Montreal mayor facing fraud, obstruction charges

Mayor's son faces fraud, obstruction charges

MONTREAL — The adult son of Montreal Mayor Denis Coderre is facing fraud and obstruction of justice charges stemming from an alleged cyberdependence issue.

Alexandre Coderre faces five charges according to a document filed at the Montreal courthouse, with the crimes alleged to have occurred between January 2015 and February of this year.

The 21-year-old has been charged with two counts of fraud and one each of credit-card fraud, making a false statement to police, and obstruction of justice for allegedly erasing data from his phone late last year.

In a statement to Montreal La Presse, Denis Coderre’s press attache said cyberdependence is at the root of the alleged acts and that the mayor himself alerted police.

Coderre also told the newspaper he doesn’t intend to comment further and will focus on taking care of his son.

The investigation was conducted by Quebec provincial police.

A justice of the peace signed off on the charges in late March and the younger Coderre was charged by summons, with a first hearing date scheduled for this coming Monday.

The Canadian Press

Note to readers: This is a corrected story. A previous version said the alleged acts occurred between January 2015 and January 2016

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Grieving together, but apart: How funeral homes are handling the pandemic

‘Hugs are so important and right now hugs can’t happen’

Sidney Lions, Peninsula-raised designer craft nearly 200 masks for area seniors

182 masks were distributed to four Saanich Peninsula care homes

What Sooke School District schools will look like on first day of reopening

No water fountains, rotating schedules and face masks not required

Saanich residents sound alarm after second owl dies of rat poison

Great Horned Owl found in Kings Park killed by three rodenticides

Point-guard lobs no-look, three-pointer for Oak Bay High video

Trick-shot only took three times, says Oak Bay teen

Vancouver Island bride held wedding in seniors home so dying stepdad could walk her down aisle

Ceremony held amidst pandemic in order to fulfill bride’s wish to have stepdad give her away

COVID-19 cancelled their wedding plans, so they married on a B.C. mountaintop

Ceremony was live streamed to friends and family around the world

Yukon ready to lift COVID travel restrictions with B.C. in July: premier

Premier Sandy Silver says the territory’s health-care system can cope with the virus.

‘It is dire:’ Study finds B.C. logging continues on critical caribou habitat

The federal Species At Risk Act requires provinces to identify critical habitat for caribou herds

Feds looking at ways to reunite families amid COVID-19 border restrictions with U.S.

Some families with members of dual-citizenship have become separated due to the pandemic

Telegraph Cove Resort will open June 1 to self-contained campers only

Washrooms, showers and all other amenities will remain closed for now

B.C. aquaculture farm’s employees sweat it out to raise funds for food banks

For every five minutes of exercise recorded, Cermaq Canada is donating a dollar to local food banks in communities they operate

Condition in kids with possible COVID-19 link being studied in Canada

This month, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention issued an alert to doctors about MIS-C

‘I knew what he wanted’: Kootenay man spends hours in tree as black bear patrols below

Francis Levasseur is no stranger to the outdoors, but a recent run-in with a bear caused quite a scare

Most Read