Adult prison sentences likely for teenage killers

A Supreme Court judge will announce Monday what sentence the teenage killers of Kimberly Proctor will face.

  • Mar. 29, 2011 2:00 p.m.

Warning: This story contains graphic content of a sexual nature and details which could be upsetting to some readers.

In the years before raping and murdering their Pacific secondary schoolmate, Kimberly Proctor’s killers showed a tendency towards violence and sexual sadism, the court heard Tuesday.

A B.C. Supreme Court sentencing hearing scheduled to last two weeks, ended after the second day. The defence was unable to offer any argument to against the two teens receiving an adult punishment for pleading guilty to first degree murder.

Reports by psychologists, psychiatrists and social workers who evaluated the Langford teens, said they showed little remorse for their crimes and diagnosed them with extreme psychopathy for their lack of empathy.

The younger teen’s feelings of superiority over others, history of violent attacks on his mother and peers, anti-female behaviour, and sexual attraction to corpses and the pain and suffering of others were indicators of necrophilia and sexual sadism.

The older teen was harder for experts to analyze because he was more reserved and admitted to lying in interviews, but he had been receiving counselling since kindergarten for beating up other students.

Experts found him to have conduct disorder with childhood onset, psychopathy and characteristics of the same sexual disorders as the younger teen.

The reports said both youth were very likely to re-offend and should be monitored for decades after their rehabilitation in the prison system.

The defence’s independent experts also analyzed the teens, but their reports mirrored the original findings

The defence submitted only one piece of evidence to the court: a three page letter written by the younger accused after the first day of the hearing.

The 16-year-old who led the attack and exhibited a worrying lack of remorse, according to psychologists and other experts who evaluated him. But his letter said he was now “deeply sorry” for what he had done.

“There is little optimism that I can change,” he wrote. “I will prove them wrong … I hit rock bottom and only have one place to go.”

The letter made reference to his father who is currently serving a life sentence for the second degree murder of a 16-year-old girl — a crime occurred when the teen was seven years old.

“I hated my father for what he’d done,” he wrote, “I’ve become a worse man than him.”

He called the premeditated murder of Proctor “the worst crime in B.C.,” which, among youth crime, it likely is.

Citing case law, Crown Prosecutor Peter Juk said the most similar youth offense occurred in Ontario when a young man, at the urging of his jealous girlfriend, stabbed to death a girl he’d once dated. Both the boyfriend and girlfriend received adult sentences in that case.

In the Proctor case, the teens committed not only murder, but prolonged sexual assault.

On March 18, 2010, the teens lured Proctor to the younger teen’s home on Happy Valley Road, duct-taped a wadded up sock in her mouth as a gag, bound her wrists and ankles with duct-tape, and beat and sexually assaulted her for many hours.

In his summery Juk described the eventual murder as “neither swift nor painless.”

They attempted to suffocate Proctor by duct-taping a plastic bag over her head and checking her pulse several times to see if she was dead. When she continued breathing, they shut her in a freezer. When that did not kill her either, they finally strangled her to death.

The pair then did obscene things to her remains, the details of which are too disturbing to print.

The next day, they burned the remains under a bridge on the Galloping Goose trail near Millstream creek. Her body had to be identified using dental records.

“It’s hard to imagine a more serious offense,” Juk told the court Tuesday. “Especially one without sense or motive.”

The judge offered the older teen an opportunity to speak for himself, but he did not wish to address the court.

During police interrogation older teen claimed the 16-year-old had forced him to take part. But when pressed to explain how a much smaller teen, two years younger and “no more threatening than Harry Potter” could make him do anything, he offered no explanation.

If sentenced as adults, both teens will receive the mandatory sentence of life in prison. In recognition of their youth, parole will be available to them after 10 years, not 25 years.

The youth sentence for the same crime is maximum six years in prison and four years of community supervision.

But as adults the two could be placed on a registry of sexual offenders and monitored for life. Their identities could also be revealed publicly.

Several psychiatrists evaluating the teens found they are at significant risk to re-offend. On this basis Juk concluded it would be in the public interest to sentence the teens as adults.

“Their names should be public, they should be known for what they’ve done,” Juk told the court, adding that such measures “wouldn’t unduly harm them or interfere with their rehabilitation.”

A Supreme Court judge will announce Monday what sentence the teenage killers of Kimberly Proctor will face.

news@goldstreamgazette.com

 

Just Posted

Greater Victoria-based digital crisis line sees spike in chats

Service allows youth to chat with volunteers through instant messaging services, text message

UVic chemist claims international prize for ‘reversible’ preservative

University of Victoria green chemist and civil engineer Heather Buckley led a… Continue reading

Impaired driver crashes into Victoria police vehicle, injures officer

Cook Street collision occured in the early morning hours of Tuesday

Get ready for the 39th annual Goodlife Fitness Victoria Marathon

Up to 9,000 particpants are anticipated for this year’s three-day race weekend

Victoria police say explicit calls continue to target women

Over 50 reports of unwanted, sexually explicit calls have come in

Average Canadian family spends 43% of income on taxes: study

Fraser Institute’s consumer report shows taxes accounting for larger chunk of income each year

Saanich mayor and council will usher in new year with a pay cut

Saanich council to wait and see what other cities do with federal changes to tax exemption

Women-owned businesses generate $68,000 less revenue than men’s: survey

When Dionne Laslo-Baker sought a bank loan to expand her burgeoning organic popsicle and freezies business in 2014, she was “shocked” by the feedback she received from one of the bankers.

Hedley frontman’s alleged sex offences case returns to court

Jacob Hoggard faces three sexual assault-related charges will return to a Toronto courtroom this morning.

Climate change likely to cause more sewage leaks, says environment minister

More than one hundred municipal wastewater systems did not report how much raw sewage overflowed from their pipes in 2017.

Priests molested 1,000 children in Pennsylvania, report says

The “real number” of abused children and abusive priests might be higher since some secret church records were lost and some victims never came forward.

Defiant as Trump rages, Omarosa says she won’t be silenced

Manigault Newman declared she will not be silenced by President Donald Trump, remaining defiant as her public feud with her former boss shifted from a war of words to a possible legal battle.

Death toll hits 39 in Italy bridge collapse; blame begins

The collapse of the Morandi Bridge sent dozens of cars and three trucks plunging as much as 45 metres (150 feet) to the ground Tuesday.

RCMP to search for body after man drowns in B.C.’s Buntzen Lake

Officers and fire crews responded but the man from the Lower Mainland is believed to have drowned.

Most Read