A basement tenant at 2632 Scott St. is nursing a burned foot after an early Sunday morning fire forced he and his three-year-old son to flee their residence.
A Victoria Fire Department crew responded at around 2:30 a.m. and found the rear of the home in flames. They quickly knocked down the bulk of the fire, and found and extinguished flareups in the exterior walls of the home.
The tenant, who had been trying to put the fire out with a garden hose, was burned as he attempted to control the blaze. He and his son were taken to hospital by Victoria police, where he was treated and released.
The man and boy were in bed when the fire started and no residents from the main floor of the house was home at the time. The cause of the fire had been determined as of midday Sunday.
The estimated cost of damage to the home was $20,000.