Name: Paul Gerrard
Occupation: Business owner
Describe your relevant background:
- Past president of Gorge Tillicum Community Association.
- Elected to Saanich Council 2008. Re-elected 2011.
- Chair of Regional Housing Trust Fund Commission.
- Leadership Council for Coalition to End Homelessness.
- Chair – Healthy Saanich Advisory Committee.
- Board member – Royal and McPherson Theatres Society.
- Chair – Greater Victoria Public Library Board.
- Director – CRD Water Commission.
- Vice – chair Saanich Community Association Network.
- Board member Capital Region Housing Corporation.
- Board member Saanich Neighbourhood Place.
- Member Saanich Planning and Transportation Committee.
- Member Saanich Development Process Review Committee.
- Member Saanich Economic Development Committee.
- Member The Land Conservancy.
- Member Gorge Waterway Action Society.
- Member Canadian Wildlife Federation.
How would you be a beneficial voice on Saanich council?
As a Saanich Councillor, I will continue to :
- Work to preserve and enhance the quality of life for all Saanich residents.
- Promote safe,healthy communities by supporting strong police, fire and bylaw enforcement departments.
- Encourage sustainable developments based on Smart Growth principles, and promote the concept of complete communities, with amenities and mixed-use development supporting major urban centres.
- Support a strong local economy and business opportunities.
- Promote fiscal responsibility while maintaining essential services and without neglecting important infrastructure projects.
- Support a co-operative regional vision to planning and transportation choices.
- Protect the Urban Containment Boundary and ALR lands.
- Support the Regional Housing Trust Fund and other affordable housing initiatives.
- Encourage active participation in sports, recreation, trails and fitness programs.
- Support, promote and protect potential LRT corridors.
- Support local farming, organic practices, pocket markets and community gardens.
- Support, promote and protect the arts, culture and heritage of Saanich.
- Support and promote measures to combat climate change and greenhouse gas emissions.
What is your campaign slogan or guiding principle?
The front of my brochure says it all: “Committed to community building in Saanich.”