Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus exit Zin Sushi and Noodle at Langford Centre after a fire broke out between 8:15 and 8:30 a.m.

Fire breaks out at Langford sushi restaurant

A fire broke out between just before 8:20 a.m., June 20, at Zin Sushi and Noodle in Langford Centre

When Bonnie McCann arrived at Langford Centre to open up her flower shop Wednesday morning (June 20), she was greeted by a fire next door.

“The smoke was streaming out the back of the building and out the chimneys,” said McCann, who parked behind the building. “I didn’t open the door because it was hot.”

At 8:22 a.m., Langford Fire Recuse was called to Zin Sushi and Noodle, located in the mall on Goldstream Avenue. Fire crews from all three of the municipality’s fire stations arrived on scene with 16 firefighters.

“We knocked the fire out very quickly. The fire was contained to the unit of origin,” said Langford fire Chief Bob Beckett, adding neighbouring shops filled with smoke.

The owners of the sushi restaurant, Joshua and Helen Park, arrived around 8:45 a.m. They appeared distraught and declined to comment.

Nearby shops including Western Foods were evacuated.

“We had more staff than customers in the store (at the time),” said Josie Turner, Western Foods office manager. Around 8:30 a.m. Western Foods began to fill up with smoke, “I don’t think there is any damage but it smells really bad.”

The fire is currently under investigation.

Langford Centre shop fire history

In April 4, 2011, a fire gutted Salty’s Fish and Chips. The store didn’t have sprinklers and the fire was caused by “an electrical device placed near combustibles,” remembers Langford fire Chief Bob Beckett.

Bonnie McCann, owner of Every Blooming Thing Florist, located next to Zin Sushi and Noodle, has been displaced three times due to fires in the mall. Western Foods, which is on the other side of McCann’ shop, has had two fires in the past 15 years.

“I am right in the middle (of both stores) I get it every time,” McCann said, wiping tears from her face. “My store is full of smoke. It gets on all the products and I have to throw (them) away. You can’t sell stuff that smells of smoke.”


Just Posted

Mount Douglas Mathletes enjoying success by the numbers

Saanich Grade 9s walk away with top five spots in Island math competition

Songhees Wellness Centre event immersed in indigenous cuisine and culture

Camosun and Songhees cook together for reconciliation while fundraising for student scholarship fund at March 23 event

Victoria Women’s Expo showcases the latest trends

Over 100 vendors feature lots of beauty, health, food, jewelry products and more

Hillside Avenue death ruled a homicide, police say

No charges have yet been laid in the killing of Victoria man Joe Gauthier

Hope gets eight year sentence for Church Avenue sex assault

Eight years is the sentence for David Robert Hope, who was found… Continue reading

VIDEO: B.C. Mounties reunite veteran with lost military medals

RCMP say Zora Singh Tatla, who served in the army in India for 28 years, is the righful owner

Over 80s leading Victoria’s fitness charge

Go at your own pace, advises 87 year old gym buff

Federal government seeks public feedback on pedestrian safety

What safety measures do you think need to improved for pedestrians and cyclists?

Experts urging caution as rabbits die by the hundreds in B.C. city

Province of B.C. confirms more positive tests for rabbit haemorrhagic disease

Canucks snap scoreless streak but fall short in 5-3 loss to Sharks

Swiss forward Timo Meier nets two, including the game-winner, to lead San Jose

Lilia Zaharieva wants to share her medical good fortune

UVic student wants treatment for cystic fibrosis made available for all

Saanich Talks event kicks off Local Area Plan updates

Updates on plans for Cadboro Bay and Cordova Bay the focus of Wednesday meeting at UVic

Braves trim Bucs to fend off elimination

Game 7 of VIJHL playoff series goes Sunday night in Nanaimo

4 facts to ring in St. Patrick’s Day

What do you really know about the Irish celebration?

Most Read