Saanich Police and Saanich Fire attended the 3900-block of Cedar Hill Rd. near Shelbourne Street this morning after police were flagged down by a motorist advising they’d backed into a pole and could smell gas.
Around 6 a.m., residents along nearby Glencraig Place were evacuated and nearby businesses were closed until the area was deemed safe. Natural gas utility FortisBC has been notified and sent emergency crews to deal with the leak, said Saanich police Staff Sgt. Murray Mashford.
“Morning commuters using Cedar Hill Rd. are advised to find an alternate route until the situation is resolved,” Mashford said.
The traffic situation has since been resolved. It wasn’t immediately known if FortisBC had completed necessary repairs.