Grass fire likely started by discarded cigarette

Police and fire were called to McKenzie Avenue near the Interurban Road overpass just after 6 a.m. to the small blaze, which was extinguished quick.

  • Sep. 10, 2011 8:00 a.m.

It’s still hot, it’s still dry and there are still fire hazard warnings in Greater Victoria.

A grass fire was discovered in Saanich Friday morning, believed to be fuelled by a discarded cigarette.

Police and fire were called to McKenzie Avenue near the Interurban Road overpass just after 6 a.m. to the small blaze, which was quickly extinguished.

A black Nissan pickup truck was seen pulled over at that spot just before the fire started.

“People who are smoking in their vehicle are encouraged to use the ash tray in their car (to dispose of cigarette butts),” said Saanich police Sgt. Dean Jantzen.

Tossing a cigarette from a vehicle constitutes a ticketable offence under the Motor Vehicle Act and the Litter Act.

The South Island remains under a high to extreme fire danger rating, according to the Ministry of Forests and Range.

Anyone with information on Friday’s incident is asked to contact Saanich police at 250-475-4321.

kslavin@saanichnews.com

Be Among The First To Know

Sign up for a free account today, and receive top headlines in your inbox Monday to Saturday.

Sign Up with google Sign Up with facebook

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Reset your password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

A link has been emailed to you - check your inbox.



Don't have an account? Click here to sign up
Pop-up banner image