Hazardous material call ties up Fort Street for hours

'I heard them mention hazardous suits. That didn't sound good:' hotel tenant

A firefighter in protective gear stands outside of 710 Fort Street as other workers unrolling plastic tarps are reflected in the door glass.



Two odourless liquid chemicals found in a sink inside a suite in the Ritz Hotel prompted Victoria firefighters to evacuate the premises, shut down a section of Fort Street and prevent workers from returning to nearby businesses Monday.

“The (hotel) manager called reporting that a substance was left by a disgruntled former occupant of the hotel,” acting fire chief Oscar Pohl, with the Victoria Fire Department, said outside the five-storey hotel at 710 Fort St.

The manager had gone into suite 325 on the third floor around 10 a.m., and when he tried cleaning a sink, his eyes started to burn and water, and his breathing was affected.

When contacted, the former tenant, who had been evicted and was said to have mental health issues, refused to identify the chemical substances.

The manager didn’t call Victoria firefighters until 1:45 p.m. Minutes after their arrival, they called in the Capital Regional District’s Hazardous Response Unit.

Dozens of firefighters belonging to the regional team raced in from across the region, including Sooke, Metchosin, View Royal, Oak Bay, Saanich and Esquimalt. A massive incident command truck and trailer, laden with supplies, arrived from Central Saanich.

“It could be totally harmless but you can’t take any chances,” said Victoria firefighter Ross Isherwood, one of the first emergency personnel to attend the scene.

Fort Street between Douglas and Blanshard streets was closed for several hours.

The hotel, which has 100 units, was eventually evacuated and tenants were sheltered in parked B.C. Transit buses.

Just after 5 p.m. a crowd of spectators drew as close as they were allowed to watch and photograph the team dress in air tanks and full-body hazmat suits.

Just after Victoria fire crews arrived, residents of the hotel had begun to trickle out, confused by the sight of emergency personnel and their vehicles lining the street.

“I woke up and came out of my room and all of a sudden a whole bunch of officers are there,” said one third-floor resident who spoke on condition of anonymity. “I heard them mention hazardous suits. That didn’t sound good.”

Though the chemical substances were not immediately identified, the hotel’s manager was said to be fine.

emccracken@vicnews.com

Just Posted

New, feature-length documentary on missing woman Emma Fillipoff comes out next year

The film follows Fillipoff’s disappearance and the ongoing investigation

Saanich School District parents welcome end of strike

Various sides of support worker strike acknowledge remaining tensions

Harbour authority to honour Victoria sailor Jeanne Socrates with naming ceremony

In September Socrates became the oldest person to sail around the world in a solo, unassisted trip

Victoria Police Department seeks provincial budget review for second year in a row

VicPD hopes to see four more staff positions after request was denied in the 2019 budget

VIDEO: The sticky truth about winter moths and how Greater Victoria arborists fight them

Winter moths have ‘killed a lot of trees’ across the region, says Oak Bay arborist

B.C. pushes for greater ‘transparency’ in gasoline pricing

Legislation responds to fuel price gap of up to 13 cents

UPDATED: Vancouver Island’s Joe gets suspended sentence in Teddy the dog cruelty case

Melissa Tooshley expected in court on Thursday in same case

Midget no more: Sweeping division name changes coming to minor hockey in Canada

Alpha-numeric division names will be used for the 2020-2021 season and beyond

Canadian universities encourage exchange students in Hong Kong to head home

UBC said 11 of its 32 students completing programs in Hong Kong have already left

EDITORIAL: It’s time to face the truth on drug use

The homeless don’t own the drug epidemic

Nineteen boats carrying invasive mussels stopped at B.C. borders

Waters of Columbia-Shuswap still test mussel-free

Woman ‘horrified’ after being told to trek 200 kilometres home from Kamloops hospital

‘I can’t get from Kamloops back to 100 Mile House injured, confused… no shoes, no clothes whatsoever’

Most Read