Saanich Fire Department responded to 22 complaints about open burning in rural Saanich after the province-wide ban went into effect March 26. (Black Press Media file photo)

More than 20 open burns reported in rural Saanich since province-wide ban went into effect

Residents in rural Saanich unaware of the ban, firefighter says

The Saanich Fire Department was called to more than 20 fires in rural Saanich since the end of March, despite a province-wide ban on open burning.

A provincial ban on outdoor burning was announced by the Ministry of Environment and Climate Change Strategy on March 26, explained Mike Simpson, Saanich’s assistant chief of fire prevention. The ban restricted open burning for all high smoke sensitivity zones across the province – including Greater Victoria – until April 15. The ministry’s ban has since been extended to June 15.

READ ALSO: Provincial ban on outdoor burning affects all of Greater Victoria

The ban was implemented as a result of the ongoing pandemic in an effort to improve air quality and avoid the impacts of wildfire smoke on public health, Simpson explained. However, it seems that some residents in rural Saanich aren’t abiding by the burning ban – likely because they’re unaware, he said.

The Saanich Fire Department responded to some 22 complaints about open burning after the ban went into effect – 10 of those calls were on April 10 alone. Simpson added that residents were respectful and put out their fires but had been unaware of the ban.

READ ALSO: Province extends COVID-19 fire ban until June 15

Simpson feels this is because under normal circumstances, from the end of October to April 30, residents in rural Saanich are allowed to burn on Fridays and on Saturdays until noon without a permit. However, “in the world we’re living in right now, it’s not allowed,” he said.

READ ALSO: B.C. wide burning restrictions come into effect April 16

The BC Wildfire Service also announced a fire ban on April 7, Simpson explained. Beginning at noon on April 16, a ban on Category 2 and 3 open fires, fireworks, sky lanterns and burn barrels or burn cages of any size or description unless used for a campfire will take effect. According to the Government of B.C. website, the ban includes public and private property and will remain in effect until further notice.

This all means that permit-free burning in rural Saanich will be closed down until at least the end of October when permit-open burning in rural Saanich typically begins, Simpson said. He emphasized that all open burning in Saanich – from backyard burners to yard waste disposal fires – is currently prohibited.

READ ALSO: Greater Victoria firefighters aim to balance COVID-19 with wildfires after record-topping dry spring


@devonscarlett
Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

devon.bidal@saanichnews.com

CoronavirusDistrict of Saanichfire ban

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Saanich property tax notices in the mail, residents unable to pay in person

Payment options, late penalties adjusted due to COVID-19

Name of victims ‘ripped down’ from Victoria display

Organizers feel the act is ‘malicious’

Saanich teen launches free online tutoring website

School Helpers matches volunteer tutors with students

Group desperate to find solution to wrecks lining shores of Cadboro Bay

Caddy Bay ‘a wild west’ without authority, say locals

Greater Victoria transit usage sees gradual rise

Ridership still down 66 per cent compared to last year

March dental conference key to many of B.C.’s COVID-19 cases

Early infections from China, Iran were quickly contained

POLL: Are you sending your children back to school this month?

Classrooms looked decidedly different when students headed back to school for the… Continue reading

Cortes Island affordable housing project hangs by a thread

Regional decision makers resort to COVID-19 concerns despite virtual meeting option and push hearing to September

MAP: Dr. Henry reveals which B.C. regions have seen most COVID-19 cases

B.C. health officials release a first look at how the novel coronavirus has reached all corners of the province

North Island recreation camping site closed due to vandalism

Damage happens every year, forcing site manager to reallocate improvement budget to repairs

Tla-o-qui-aht First Nation woman, 26, fatally shot by police in Edmundston, N.B.

Police were conducting a well-being check at the time of the incident

Seniors to receive up to $500 in promised COVID-19 emergency aid in early July

The Liberal government first promised the extra help in mid-May, but had to create a new system to deliver the aid

VIDEO: Revelstoke bear wanders into Animal House pet store

Staff got ready to chase it out with a broom

Man found dead in his tent at Island homeless camp

Facebook posts tell of personal struggles and attempts to stay clean and sober

Most Read