Categories: Home2 News

UPDATE: Lockdown lifted at Nanaimo high school following threats

UPDATE: The lockdown at Dover Bay Secondary has been lifted and McGirr Elementary School is no longer under a hold-and-secure, say Nanaimo RCMP. Police say parents can come and go in the area to pick up kids from school.

PREVIOUSLY POSTED: According to a social media post from the Nanaimo-Ladysmith school district, Dover Bay is now under a lockdown. McGirr Elementary remains under hold-and-secure procedures.

Nanaimo RCMP communicated via social media that Dover Bay was placed on lockdown “following information received which elevated the risk assessment,” adding that the measure is “in place out of an abundance of caution only.”

Lockdown procedures, according to a document shared by the school district, are in response to a potential threat within the school, and cause normal activities within the school to cease.

More to come.

PREVIOUSLY POSTED: Police officers are on scene at a north-end Nanaimo high school after threats were made against the school.

According to a Nanaimo RCMP press release, Dover Bay Secondary School is currently in a hold-and-secure situation after an “unspecified threat was directed” against it. Given that McGirr Elementary School is in the vicinity, it has also been place in a hold-and-secure as well, police said.

“The decision to place additional police officers at both facilities is not taken lightly and was done after consulting with senior management of the [Nanaimo Ladysmith Public Schools’] school board,” Const. Gary O’Brien, Nanaimo RCMP spokesman, said in the press release. “The safety and security of staff and students at both facilities is paramount and the officers will remain in place and visible, until the situation has been resolved.”

A similar instance occurred at the secondary school in November.

Under a hold-and-secure situation business continues as usual inside the school, but nobody is permitted to enter or exit, according to the school district.

More to come.

READ ALSO: Three Nanaimo high schools in lockdown after threat


More from the News Bulletin on Facebook and Twitter

Nanaimo News Staff

Share
Published by
Nanaimo News Staff
Tags: RCMP

Recent Posts

  • Canada & World
  • Home2
  • News

World update, 9:30 p.m. March 27: Positive news in Korea as U.S. hits 100,000 cases

The United States now has the most coronavirus cases of any country in the world

5 hours ago
  • Letters
  • Opinion

LETTERS: Working together to ensure store shelves are stocked

During these very difficult days, I want to thank our three major grocery stores — managers and staff — who…

6 hours ago
  • Home2
  • Trending Now

VIDEO: Penguins roam empty halls of Vancouver Aquarium

COVID-19 has forced the Vancouver Aquarium to close access to guests – leaving room for its residents

7 hours ago
  • Home
  • Local News
  • News

Sooke School District promises learning opportunites for students by mid-April

‘No intent to replicate regular school day virtually’ SD62 says

8 hours ago
  • Home
  • Local News
  • News

Victoria police warns of text, vacation rental COVID-19 fraud attempts

Frauds appearing online, in text messages and through vacation rentals

8 hours ago
  • Home
  • Local News
  • News

Development and building applications in Victoria can now be submitted online

Victoria mayor moves daily update to 2:30 p.m. every weekday

8 hours ago