John Heintzelman, 67, is accused of sexually assaulting two women at his former business, James Bay Massage. His December 2018 acquittal has been appealed in B.C. Supreme Court. (File Photo)

New trial for James Bay masseur acquitted of sexual assault

John Hentzelman, 67, will be re-tried on two counts of sexual assault

*Warning: This story may be disturbing to some readers.

A new trial has been ordered for the Victoria man accused of sexually assaulting clients during ‘hot stone therapy’ in his home basement massage facility.

In December 2018, John Heintzelman was acquitted of two counts of sexual assault after four days of evidence from complainants, who described “unwanted sexual touching” during treatments where Heintzelman rubbed hot stones on various parts of their naked bodies.

READ ALSO: Victoria massage provider acquitted of sexual assault

Heintzelman was the practitioner of a business operating under the name “James Bay Massage,” previously called “Ancient Medicine.”

Two complainants described unwanted sexual touching by Heintzelman during the initial trial. But one did not come forward with the allegations until another alleged assault was made public in October 2017, when the Victoria Police Department issued a press release asking other potential victims to come forward in connection to a case the department was investigating.

At trial, Heintzelman denied the allegations. His wife testified that she was upstairs during the treatment of the first complainant and did not hear anything “untoward.”

READ ALSO: Crown to appeal acquittal of Victoria masseur accused of sexual assault

Trial judge Ted Gouge acquitted Heintzelman, writing in his decision that he was in the position of being “unable to decide whom to believe” and therefore obliged to acquit.

Gouge said one complainant’s mental health issues made it difficult to corroborate the two stories. He also commented on the nature of VicPD’s press release, which named Heintzelman. “It would have been possible for them to test the veracity of those complaints by asking the complainants for the name of the assailant and the address where the assault took place,” said Gouge.

The Crown, however, took issue with Gouge’s assessments and successfully appealed his decision in the Supreme Court of B.C., where Justice Johnson said the trial judge gave too much weight to speculation of the complainant’s psychiatric condition and VicPD’s media release.

The date for the new trial is yet to be determined.

READ ALSO: Rogue masseur arrested for sexual assault in Victoria



nina.grossman@blackpress.ca

Follow us on Instagram
Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Just Posted

Victoria man spots online photo of his totem pole 11 years after it was stolen

Mark Trueman restored the pole himself before it was stolen off of his property in Duncan

John Horgan promises action after fatal mid-Island bus crash

Premier cites students, local Indigneous community as reason to repair the road

Realtor pitches Langford’s third retail cannabis store

Local business owner Ron Cheeke prepares to open Honeycomb Cannabis

VIDEO: Trudeau asks Canada to look to current, not past, actions on race

Liberal leader says he never spoke about the racist photo because he was embarrassed

Crime Stoppers most wanted for Greater Victoria for the week of September 17

Greater Victoria Crime Stoppers is seeking the public’s help in locating the… Continue reading

POLL: Should the province step in to upgrade the road to Bamfield?

The death of two University of Victoria students on a bus bound… Continue reading

Island contestant competes on Great Canadian Baking Show

Andrea Nauta auditioned for the show before but was lucky second time around

VIDEO: B.C. man accused of assaulting sex worker loses temper in interrogation

Defence lawyer says statements made by accused Curtis Sagmoen should be deemed inadmissible

Nanaimo beekeepers take down nest of invasive giant hornets

One nest eradicated at Nanaimo’s Robins Park, but there are still Asian giant hornets around

Teens charged in stabbing death of B.C. man in strip mall parking lot

Two youths, aged 15 and 16, charged in Aug. 16 killing of South Surrey’s Paul Prestbakmo

B.C. Premier John Horgan worried about ‘rise of racism’ in Canada

Asked to comment on Justin Trudeau’s ‘blackface’ incidents

Human case of West Nile virus reported on Vancouver Island

B.C. Centre for Disease Control confirmed case reported in August

Most Read