Petronas LNG delay not due to B.C., Coleman says

Malaysian-led project still needs federal approval for site, CEO concerned about U.S. competition for gas exports to Asia

Lelu Island at the Prince Rupert port is the proposed location for an $11 billion LNG export terminal.

Malaysian oil and gas giant Petronas has put off its final investment decision on a large-scale liquefied natural gas project until some time in 2015, but it’s not because of B.C.’s taxes and conditions, says Natural Gas Development Minister Rich Coleman.

Pacific Northwest LNG, a consortium led by Petronas for a pipeline and terminal at the Prince Rupert port, issued a statement Wednesday citing construction costs and federal approvals it still needs for a pipeline and plants worth $36 billion.

“Costs associated with the pipeline and LNG facility remain challenging and must be reduced further before a positive final investment decision can be undertaken,” the statement says. “At the same time, Pacific Northwest LNG will continue to work to secure necessary regulatory and other approvals from the government of Canada.”

Coleman said he was consulted on the statement and remains optimistic about the project going ahead. The province set its tax and greenhouse gas rules for LNG projects during the fall legislature session, and completed agreements with the Nisga’a Nation to allow a gas pipeline to pass through their territory to the coast.

“It was always clear that once they got our piece completed, they would move on to making sure their numbers across the board with their partners work,” Coleman said. “That’s the pipeline, the upstream cost for gas plants, that’s the LNG plant itself, which they would build in Port Edward.”

Petronas CEO Shamsul Azhar Abbas said the decision will be made as soon as possible.

“This is vital in light of the current intense market environment and for Pacific Northwest LNG not to lose out on long-term contracts to competitive United States LNG projects,” Abbas said.

NDP natural gas critic Bruce Ralson called the decision “a setback,” noting that BG Group also cited U.S. competition in its recent decision to delay a final decision on its project for the Prince Rupert area.

 

Just Posted

Colwood’s Hatley Castle makes top 10 list of movie locations to travel to

X-Men, Deadpool among movies filmed at Hatley Castle

Relative of man found dead in Saanich says he was missing for years

RCMP and a private detective had been searching for him since 2012

UPDATED: Oak Bay father takes stand, denies killing young daughters

Andrew Berry has plead not guilty to the December 2017 deaths of his two daughters

Saanich Police warn of counterfeit money being used

Several fake $100 bills have been reported in Greater Victoria

Man who killed Langford teen attended her memorial service, demonstrates little remorse

Parole Board of Canada documents reveal factors in parole decision

VIDEO: Title of 25th Bond movie is ‘No Time to Die’

The film is set to be released in April 2020

Greater Victoria wanted list for the week of Aug. 23

Greater Victoria Crime Stoppers is seeking the public’s help in locating the… Continue reading

POLL: Should there be a ban on gas-powered leaf blowers?

We’ve all heard them, and most likely cursed them under our breath.… Continue reading

New study suggests autism overdiagnosed: Canadian expert

Laurent Mottron: ‘Autistic people we test now are less and less different than typical people’

Trans Mountain gives contractors 30 days to get workers, supplies ready for pipeline

Crown corporation believes the expansion project could be in service by mid-2022

Rosemount cooked diced chicken linked to listeria case in B.C.

The symptoms of listeria include vomiting, nausea, fever, muscle aches

B.C. seniors allowed more choice to stay in assisted living

Province doesn’t need to wait for a complaint to investigate care, Adrian Dix says

Retired B.C. fisherman wins record $60M Lotto Max jackpot

Joseph Katalinic won the biggest Lotto Max prize ever awarded

Island manslaughter suspect found not guilty in Supreme Court

Court accepts accused’s argument of self-defence for 2017 incident in Courtenay

Most Read