Victoria Battalion Chief Vince Cullen was on the scene of the kitchen fire Sunday evening. A family of five who live in the house are safe, as no one was home at the time of the fire. (Keri Coles/Oak Bay News)

Pot left on stove causes Victoria house fire

Family of five not at home at the time

Victoria Fire crews responded to a call of a house fire just before 5 p.m. Sunday evening. When crews arrived at a residence on the corner of Leighton Road and Amphion Street, they encountered the upper level of the house enveloped in thick, dark smoke coming from the vents in the roof.

Firefighters forced their way in through a door and found the source of the blaze in the kitchen. An unattended pot on the stove had caught fire, spreading to the cupboards but contained in the kitchen.

“There was no one home at the time. The husband, wife, and three children were out,” said Victoria Fire Battalion Chief Vince Cullen. “One of the neighbours contacted them to tell them the fire department was here and they were back here pretty quick.”

The cost of the damage is estimated at $100,000, due to significant smoke damage as well as water damage from fire extinguishers. Cullen said most of the destruction was contained to the upper level of the home, sparing the lower level.


 

keri.coles@oakbaynews.com

Follow us on Instagram
Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Just Posted

Dix says B.C. remains focused on fighting youth overdoses in wake of teen’s death

Elliot Eurchuk’s parents say he died at his Oak Bay home after taking street drugs

Central Saanich, Tsawout taking part in reconciliation ceremony

Blanket event Monday to help foster mutual trust and respect

Retired Gordon Head teacher not ready to ride into the sunset

86-year-old keeping active with marathon paddling trek and week-long cycling tour

Parents grieving teen’s overdose death say it started with opioid prescription

Elliot Eurchuk, 16, died at his Oak Bay home Friday, after taking street drugs

‘On the Cusp’ debuts at Victoria store front

Camosun Visual Arts students present new exhibit

LOCAL FLAVOUR: Taking the sting out of nourishing nettles

Linda Geggie For the Saanich News When you think of nettles you… Continue reading

UVic’s Gustavson goes carbon neutral for air travel

As a way to offset the frequent airplane travel that comes with… Continue reading

Central Saanich, Tsawout taking part in reconciliation ceremony

Blanket event Monday to help foster mutual trust and respect

‘When everybody leaves: Counselling key to help Humboldt move on after bus crash

Dealing with life after a tragedy can be the worst part following a loss

Half-naked shooter guns down four, runs away in Nashville Waffle House shooting

Nashville police say they are looking for Travis Reinking in connection with the shooting

Ballet Victoria soirée fundraiser a prelude to final show of season

Company winds up its 15th season in the city with Peter Pan next month

Final week for ALR input

Public consultation process closes April 30

Child’s body found in river downstream from where boy went missing during flood

Three-year-old Kaden Young was swept out of his mother’s arms in February

Most Read