Victoria Battalion Chief Vince Cullen was on the scene of the kitchen fire Sunday evening. A family of five who live in the house are safe, as no one was home at the time of the fire. (Keri Coles/Oak Bay News)

Victoria Battalion Chief Vince Cullen was on the scene of the kitchen fire Sunday evening. A family of five who live in the house are safe, as no one was home at the time of the fire. (Keri Coles/Oak Bay News)

Pot left on stove causes Victoria house fire

Family of five not at home at the time

Victoria Fire crews responded to a call of a house fire just before 5 p.m. Sunday evening. When crews arrived at a residence on the corner of Leighton Road and Amphion Street, they encountered the upper level of the house enveloped in thick, dark smoke coming from the vents in the roof.

Firefighters forced their way in through a door and found the source of the blaze in the kitchen. An unattended pot on the stove had caught fire, spreading to the cupboards but contained in the kitchen.

“There was no one home at the time. The husband, wife, and three children were out,” said Victoria Fire Battalion Chief Vince Cullen. “One of the neighbours contacted them to tell them the fire department was here and they were back here pretty quick.”

The cost of the damage is estimated at $100,000, due to significant smoke damage as well as water damage from fire extinguishers. Cullen said most of the destruction was contained to the upper level of the home, sparing the lower level.


 

keri.coles@oakbaynews.com

Follow us on Instagram
Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

House Fire Victoria