Architectural renderings of one of three possible designs for a new Craigflower bridge deck

Public gets first look at new Craigflower bridge plans

Design options are outlined at www.saanich.ca/services/roads/craigflower.html.

The public had its first look at concept drawings for the $10.7 million Craigflower Bridge replacement at an open house Wednesday.

Harold Engineering, the Nanaimo-based firm contracted to design the bridge, presented three similarly-priced options for the public to consider. View Royal and Saanich will collect feedback on the options before they jointly decide what design they want to move ahead with.

Saanich transportation manager Jim Hemstock said many variables need to be considered when selecting a design.

“Given that they all cost about the same, we’ll be looking at how quickly each can be constructed, how they’ll perform in an earthquake, what their maintenance costs will be, and how they look aesthetically,” Hemstock said.

The main tradeoff between the bridge designs is the style of their base and how much room is dedicated to bikes and pedestrians.

For example, if the bridge has a simple concrete base, rather than a more expensive steel base, the savings can be used for more attractive railings or a wider bridge deck.

Some elements are present in all the bridge designs, including the presence of a barrier between vehicle lanes and bike lanes and space on the downstream side of the bridge for herring fishing.

The bridge will carry three lanes of traffic and have lamp posts for lighting.

It’s possible some of the wood from the current bridge can be incorporated into the the new design.

“Some of the beams are Douglas fir and they still look like they just came out of the sawmill,” Hemstock said.

That wood could line the pedestrian walkway or the herring fishing platform, depending on what design is selected.

The existing timber trestle, built in 1933, is expected to be torn down in June 2012. The new bridge will open six months later.

There was early talk of keeping the original bridge open during the first half of construction, but that would extend the overall construction period to 18 months.

“I haven’t talked to a single person who wants that option,” Hemstock said. “There’s been a lot of construction in the area, and the message we get from people is they want it over as quickly as possible.”

The bulk of the project cost will be covered by $10 million in gas tax funds allocated by the Capital Regional District. Sannich will cover 60 per cent of the remaining bill with View Royal contributing the remaining 40 per cent.

The design options are outlined at www.saanich.ca/services/roads/craigflower.html. Feedback on the designs can be emailed to admiralsroad@saanich.ca.

editor@saanichnews.com

Just Posted

Saanich won’t be big in Japan; council rejects potential sister-city relationship

Council also refuses to reimburse former mayor Richard Atwell

MISSING: 34-year-old Lucas Matkowski

Matkowski was last seen by the Victoria Police Department on Dec. 3

Extreme Weather Protocol activated in Greater Victoria

Rain and wind gusts up to 70 km/h predicted, shelters open more beds

Housing advocate questions municipality’s proposed renovation of former Emily Carr library

Marilou Gagnon says Saanich was never serious about helping the Regina Park homeless

Saanich ranks 23rd among best cities for work in British Columbia

Sidney ranks 22nd, while Victoria ranks 36th in B.C. Business Survey

VIDEO: Close encounter with a whale near Canada-U.S border

Ron Gillies had his camera ready when a whale appeared Dec. 7

Prosecution in Colin John murder trial wrapping up in Duncan

John on trial for stabbing death in Chemainus in 2016

RCMP ‘desperate’ for clues in case of missing Parksville mom

Carmel Gilmour was last seen more than a year ago

Oogie Boogie, Sandy Claws and coffin sleigh part of B.C. couple’s holiday display

Chilliwack couple decorates their house for the holidays using Nightmare Before Christmas theme

First Nation sues Alberta, says oilsands project threatens sacred site

Prosper Petroleum’s $440-million, 10,000-barrel-a-day plans have been vigorously opposed by Fort McKay

North Okanagan site of first RCMP naloxone test project

Free kits, training to be provided to high-risk individuals who spend time in cell blocks

1 arrested after bizarre incident at U.S.-B.C. border involving bags of meth, car crash

Man arrested after ruckus in Sumas and Abbotsford on Thursday night

More B.C. Indigenous students graduating high school: report

70% of Indigenous students graduated, compared to 86% across all B.C. students

2 facing animal cruelty charges after emaciated dog found in B.C.

Amy Hui-Yu Lin and Glenn Mislang have been charged with causing an animal to continue to be in distress

Most Read