RCMP are asking people to stop posting false information on social media as they call for anyone with first hand information to come forward. (file photo)

RCMP issue appeal for real information regarding school lockdown

Online posts only frustrate the investigation

Online posts that link the hold and secure at EMCS on Thursday with alleged threats against the high school and the possession of weapons are frustrating the RCMP as they investigate the incident.

“This investigation, as with most police investigations, needs to be based on facts and first-hand information. Social media can be a great tool, but investigators are finding that rumours, speculation and hearsay are unnecessarily hampering the investigation,” Cpl. Chris Manseau said in a media release.

“We need people who have first-hand information to come forward, and speak with officers. I urge anyone with first-hand information to come forward to the Sooke RCMP detachment and speak with an officer to ensure the actual facts are known.”

He said talk of weapons and threats do nothing but stoke fear in the public.

The suspect arrested in the Nov. 7 incident, where Edward Milne Community School was placed in a hold and secure status for several hours, has been released from police custody.

So far, no charges have been laid.

The incident was prompted by social media posts that had come to the attention of the Sooke School District and the RCMP. At about 11:30 a.m. the information was enough to prompt the school to initiate the hold and secure status.

“Hold and secure is a bit different from a full lockdown as it involves the perimeter doors being locked and no one being allowed to enter or exit the school. In a lockdown, the additional precaution of locking classroom doors would have been put into place,” Stephanie Sherlock, school district spokesperson, said.

RELATED: Lockdown lifted

In a message to parents, Sherlock said while a full lockdown was not in place, the students were kept in their classrooms while the RCMP assessed the situation.

The school district statement emphasized that they have full confidence in the RCMP’s advice regarding the safety of the students.

“Having said that, we understand that some families may be feeling a range of emotions connected to the experience. We have made extra counsellors available in the school and are communicating that personally to each classroom. In addition, the community has a resource centre that you can access if needed,” said the statement.

Some questions have also surfaced regarding the fact that while EMCS experienced a hold and secure event, students at Saseenos Elementary continued with normal activities.

“During yesterday’s hold and secure at EMCS, it was determined by police that the potential threat was specific to EMCS. If at any time, the RCMP had indicated we should place Saseenos Elementary under a hold and secure, we absolutely would have. In these instances, we take our direction from police,” Sherlock said.

Hold and secure practice drills have become a normal part of the school year, and Sherlock said that drills were held earlier this year to prepare students for this type of situation.



mailto:tim.collins@sookenewsmirror.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Just Posted

Sensitive Santa brings patient holiday cheer to Tillicum Centre

Those who need more time with Santa can book a session ahead starting Nov. 19

The Grinch decks the halls for Sidney’s holiday season

A flurry of holiday events to be had in Sidney this year

B.C. mom, kids on bike turned away from Tim Hortons drive-thru

Car-free for years, Charity Millar ‘felt gross’ being denied service

Saanich mom on a bike turned away in Tim Hortons drive-thru

Car-free for years, Charity Millar ‘felt gross’ being denied service

Saanich residents asked for input on Tripp Station Youth Park

Staff are considering a bike park, parkour course, zipline and more

POLL: Do you plan on making any purchases on Black Friday?

We’ve all seen the images. Shoppers rioting outside of a store in… Continue reading

B.C. to advocate for frustrated, confused, unhappy cellphone users, says premier

Maple Ridge New Democrat Bob D’Eith to advocate for more affordable and transparent cellphone options

B.C. man who killed Belgian tourist near Boston Bar gets life in prison, no parole until 2042

Sean McKenzie pleaded guilty to second-degree murder of 28-year-old Amelie Christelle Sakkalis

‘Very disrespectful’: B.C. first responder irked by motorists recording collisions on cellphones

Central Cariboo Search and Rescue deputy chief challenges motorists to break the habit

Daily cannabis linked to reduction in opioid use: B.C. researchers

Researchers looked at a group of 1,152 people in Vancouver who reported substance use and chronic pain

Port Alberni rallies for mill workers

Fundraisers helping ease the sting of five months without work

Island student lobbies school board for dress code consistency

Jaylene Kuo contacted school trustees after seeing dress guidelines at brother’s school

Most Read