Roadwork deferred to fund Craigflower bridge rebuild

A plan to rebuild Cook Street, between Quadra Street and Maplewood Road, will be put on hold

A plan to rebuild Cook Street, between Quadra Street and Maplewood Road, will be put on hold after build costs for the new Craigflower Bridge jumped by $2.2 million.

Saanich and View Royal, which share ownership of the bridge, are each on the hook to find $1.1 million more than they originally budgeted for.

“The tenders came in over budget because of the pilings and what (the contractor feels) is beneath the surface,” said Saanich Mayor Frank Leonard. “On the other hand, Saanich taxpayers should still be pleased we’ve got a $13.2-million bridge that’s being funding $11.05 million from other sources, which is incredible.”

Saanich is finding its portion by delaying the Cook Street upgrade a year, and using the money previously budgeted there.

Both municipalities last week awarded the bridge build contract to Don Mann Construction Ltd. for $15,896,000. The contract also includes major roadwork on either side of the bridge.

The 80-year-old, timber-beam Craigflower Bridge is slated to be replaced by a three-lane steel bridge. Construction will begin in April and is expected to last six months.

When complete, the Cook Street upgrade, called a Complete Street project, will see the road become more pedestrian and bike friendly.

kslavin@saanichnews.com

 

Just Posted

Saanich jam stand at the centre of controversy prepares to close

Staff review of roadside stand legislation too late for Little

Convicted drug trafficker asks Victoria courtroom for chance to ‘turn this around’

Horst Schirmer sentenced for convictions on five counts of possession related to trafficking

$11 million overdraw for McKenzie Interchange construction

The project has been delayed multiple times and is now estimating a budget of $96 million

Alzheimer Society calls for helpline volunteers in Greater Victoria

Charity is in ‘urgent need’ as calls on the rise

Pipeline protestors plan march as Trudeau gives Trans Mountain the go-ahead,

20 kilometre march to protest the pipeline starts in Victoria, ends on Saanich Peninsula

VIDEO: Trans Mountain expansion project gets green light, again

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced the decision in Ottawa on Tuesday afternoon

POLL: Do you support the government’s decision to approve the Trans Mountain pipeline expansion?

The federal government announced Tuesday its approval for the Trans Mountain pipeline… Continue reading

Greater Victoria wanted list for the week of June 18

Greater Victoria Crime Stoppers is seeking the public’s help in locating the… Continue reading

Man to be sentenced for sexual abuse of young girl in Nanaimo

Stephen Mark Castleden also sentenced for child pornography-related charges

MPs hear retired B.C. nurse’s petition to change compensation for fatal medical errors

Teri McGrath wants provinces to implement no-fault system for medical errors

Horgan says he’ll still defend B.C. coast after second Trans Mountain approval

Meanwhile, one B.C. First Nation has announced plans for a legal challenge

VIDEO: Firefighters stop blaze from spreading after BMW crashes at Saratoga Speedway

Victoria-based businessmen were ‘corner training’ on Father’s Day when incident took place

Demonstrators on either side of Trans Mountain debate clash in Vancouver

Crowd heard from member of Indigenous-led coalition that hopes to buy 51% of expansion project

Grieving B.C. mom hopes Facebook message leads to new investigation into son’s Surrey homicide

Criminal Justice Branch didn’t lay charges, concluding no substantial likelihood of murder or manslaughter conviction

Most Read