This file photo shows Chrissy Brett, a member of the Nuxalk Nation, standing at the outer edges of the homeless camp that has sprung up near Uptown in May. She said in an interview Thursday that residents will likely defy Saanich’s second eviction notice, which she believes sets up a court injunction against the camp. Black Press File.

Saanich camp leader plans to defy new eviction notice

Notice prohibits campers from remaining in Regina Park between 9 a.m. and 7 p.m.

The District of Saanich issued its second eviction notice against campers in Regina Park Thursday, but a camp leader says it is not likely that residents will comply with it.

Chrissy Brett said police officers, some in plain clothes, issued the notice around 10 a.m. A release from the District of Saanich says officers issued the notice with the “expectation of immediate compliance.” The notice cited changes to Saanich’s parks management and control bylaw. They codify the rights of homeless individuals to seek overnight shelters in certain parks including Regina Park between 7 p.m. and 9 a.m. but prohibits continuous camping outside those hours.

Brett said these provisions deny basic human rights to shelter, adding that residents on the provincial part of the camp are prepared to challenge the order.

While Saanich had issued its first eviction notice on June 8, Thursday’s order takes on added meaning for at least three reasons.

First, it happened shortly after Saanich strengthened its own legal arguments by acknowledging the rights of homeless individuals to shelter overnight, while simultaneously exercising its authority to limit where they can camp.

Second, it can be read as the harbinger of a court injunction against the camp.

Brett, who was among the leaders of Victoria’s tent city, said this pattern was evident in that situation, and she thinks that this order is just Saanich’s way of setting the stage for that move.

District officials have previously refused to comment whether they plan to a court injunction against the camp, calling it an ongoing legal matter.

Brett hopes that the district remains committed to working with camp residents in keeping the camp safe and finding a housing solution.

Camp residents also received orders from fire officials June 8, June 15 and June 29.

The order came just hours before the camp is to hold a community barbecue to build public support. Saanich’s notice suggests that the camp should not get too comfortable.


Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Just Posted

Runners invited to get set for the 40th annual Goodlife Marathon

More than 9,000 runners expected to pack Victoria streets in October

Noted playwright and Theatre SKAM team up on latest production

Charles Tidler interprets dozens of urban interactions in Victoria with 7eventy 7even

Lost wedding ring found on Valentine’s Day

Dan Milbrath’s ring is back where it belongs

Victoria installation for the blind causes problems for those with mobility issues

The truncated domes installed at Blanshard and Fort streets aren’t helpful for everyone

Funds being raised for double-amputee Ecuadorean dancer

North Saanich woman is putting out collection jars if people would like to donate

Trudeau’s principal secretary, Gerald Butts, resigns amid SNC-Lavalin furor

Butts categorically denies the accusation that he or anyone else in the PMO improperly pressured former attorney general Jody Wilson-Raybould

Poverty coalition has high hopes for B.C. poverty reduction strategy

Funding allocation expected to be released with 2019 budget

‘How did we get here?’: B.C. mom of transplant recipient worries about measles outbreaks

Addison, 7, cannot get a live vaccine because she has a heart transplant

Steelhead LNG stops work on Kwispaa LNG project near Bamfield

Huu-ay-aht First Nations ‘deeply disappointed; Steelhead says funding is the problem

NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh calls for public inquiry over SNC-Lavalin questions

Vancouver member of Parliament Jody Wilson-Raybould resigned from cabinet last week

Canadian airlines waiting for guidance from Ottawa over X gender option

Major U.S. airlines said they will change their process so passengers can identify themselves along non-binary lines

‘Violent’ B.C. man wanted on Canada-wide warrant

Prince George man with ties to Vernon sought by police

Homicide police investigate assault turned deadly in Surrey

60-year-old man died at hospital after assault

Deported B.C. man who came to Canada as a baby granted chance at return

Len Van Heest was deported to the Netherlands in 2017

Most Read