The Town of Sidney will receive $2.75 million in direct grant support from the provincial government to deal with the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic. (Black Press Media file photo)

The Town of Sidney will receive $2.75 million in direct grant support from the provincial government to deal with the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic. (Black Press Media file photo)

Sidney receives more than $2.75M in provincial support to deal with COVID-19 costs

Staff recommend a ‘cautious and measured approach’ in use of funds

Sidney staff are recommending a “cautious and measured approach” for the use of more than $2.75 million grant from the provincial government announced last week.

According to a report before Sidney councillors Monday , the municipality will receive the “much higher than anticipated” amount under a federal-provincial program designed to help local governments with the effects of COVID-19 pandemic.

“Given the uncertainty about the short and long-term impacts of COVID-19, staff will be recommending a cautious and measured approach to the use of the grant funds,” said Andrew Hicik, Sidney’s director of corporate services, in the report.

The Canada-BC Safe Restart Agreement earmarks direct grants of up to $425 million to local governments to help them with the financial impacts of the pandemic as well as costs related to the initial emergency and the subsequent re-opening. Re-start grants on the Saanich Peninsula include $3,455,000 for Central Saanich, $2,711,000 for North Saanich and $2,758,000 for Sidney.

RELATED: City of Duncan wants to put solar panels on fire hall

Pointing to the letter from the provincial government announcing the funding, Hicik’s report leaves some uncertainty about potential uses for the funding, with revenue shortfalls; facility reopening and operating costs; emergency planning and response costs; bylaw enforcement and protective services such as fire and police; computer and other electronic technology costs; services for vulnerable persons; and other related costs listed as eligible.

“The use of the phrase ‘eligible costs’ may imply that additional information will be forthcoming on what may be deemed ‘ineligible;’ but that is not confirmed,” said Hicik.

While Hicik said it is “important not to commit too quickly to the use of funds,” he lists what he calls three initial suggestions: use the money to make up additional costs and lost revenue for 2020; continue the 2020 approach into 2021 (which would then create additional openings including continued or enhanced tax cuts or additional spending); or keep a portion for 2022 in case recovery is slower than expected. This option would allow the municipality “phasing back to a normal taxation level” along with its replenished surplus.

Hicik anticipates bringing forward a more detail report for future options. “No decisions on these or potential other options are required or expected at this time,” he said. “(However) initial direction prior to the upcoming budget process would be greatly beneficial.”


Do you have a story tip? Email: vnc.editorial@blackpress.ca.

Follow us on Twitter and Instagram, and like us on Facebook.

wolfgang.depner@peninsulanewsreview.com

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Saanich golfer and top B.C. junior and juvenile player Willy Bishop was named to the 2021 Canadian National Junior Golf Squad on Nov. 19. (Photo courtesy Jenny Bishop)
Saanich student to tee-off with national golf team

Willy Bishop, 16, named to Canadian National Junior Golf Squad in 2021

Island Health has reported a COVID-19 outbreak at Saanich Peninsula Hospital. (Arnold Lim/Black Press)
Four new COVID-19 cases added to Saanich Peninsula Hospital outbreak

Inital round of patient testing is complete, staff testing continues

A rendering of Victoria Wonderland, a drive-thru immersive holiday experience that has been cancelled due to COVID-19. (Courtesy of Transcend Victoria)
Victoria Wonderland drive-thru show cancelled due to COVID-19

Organizers hope to host a similar event, if restrictions allow, in the new year

Swiftsure International Yacht Race 2018. (Black Press Media file photo)
Popular Swiftsure yacht race cancelled for second consecutive year

International sailing race hopes to run its 77th event in 2022

Andrew McBride is among those who deck out for Sea of Lights floating ship parade annually. (Black Press Media file photo)
Pandemic sinks Royal Victoria Yacht Club’s Sea of Lights

Oak Bay club encourages donations to the charities event supports

Motorists wait to enter a Fraser Health COVID-19 testing facility, in Surrey, B.C., on Monday, Nov. 9, 2020. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darryl Dyck
Another 694 diagnosed with COVID-19 in B.C. Thursday

Three more health care outbreaks, 12 deaths

(AP Photo/Paula Bronstein)
POLL: Has COVID-19 changed your plans for the holidays?

The lights are going up, the stacks of presents under the tree… Continue reading

Anyone with information on any of these individuals is asked to call 1-800-222-TIPS (8477) or visit the website victoriacrimestoppers.ca for more information.
Greater Victoria Crime Stoppers wanted list for the week of Dec. 1

Greater Victoria Crime Stoppers is seeking the public’s help in locating the… Continue reading

Watch Messiah at home with the Sooke Philharmonic

Concert available to stream Dec. 12

Emergency crews used a backhoe loader to clear fire debris from the scene of a fire on Wesley Street Thursday as police and firefighters gathered up propane tanks, stoves and fireplaces used by camp residents to heat tents. (Chris Bush/News Bulletin)
City of Nanaimo dismantles downtown homeless encampment after fire

Four to six tents burned up in Wesley Street fire Thursday, Dec. 3

A demonstrator wears representations of sea lice outside the Fisheries and Oceans Canada offices in downtown Vancouver Sept. 24, demanding more action on the Cohen Commission recommendations to protect wild Fraser River sockeye. (Quinn Bender photo)
First Nations renew call to revoke salmon farm licences

Leadership council implores use of precautionary principle in Discovery Islands

Ten-month-old Aidan Deschamps poses for a photo with his parents Amanda Sully and Adam Deschamps in this undated handout photo. Ten-month-old Aidan Deschamps was the first baby in Canada to be diagnosed with spinal muscular atrophy through Ontario’s newborn screening program. The test was added to the program six days before he was born. THE CANADIAN PRESS/HO, Children’s Hospital Eastern Ontario *MANDATORY CREDIT*
First newborn tested for spinal muscular atrophy in Canada hits new milestones

‘If Aidan had been born any earlier or anywhere else our story would be quite different’

BC Ambulance Services reassures people that the service is well staffed and ready to respond. Photo by Don Bodger
BC Ambulance assures the Island community they’re ‘fully staffed’

‘Paramedics are not limited to a geographical area.’ — BCEHS

(Pixabay)
Canadians’ mental health has deteriorated with the second wave, study finds

Increased substance use one of the ways people are coping

Most Read