Sam and Finn Parker each received a Citizen’s Meritorious Award from the Victoria Fire Department for making sure everyone got out when their house caught fire in March. From left: Acting Mayor Marianne Alto, Finn Parker, Jess Edison, Sam Parker, Jasper Parker, Victoria Fire Chief Paul Bruce, and Jacquie Edison. Nicole Crescenzi/VICTORIA NEWS

Teen Victoria brothers receive award for saving family from house fire

Sam and Finn Parker kept cool when their home started to burn and got three people out

Two Victoria teenagers kept their cool when their home caught fire in March.

The 100-year old McClure Street house caught fire and became entirely engulfed in flames within 10 minutes. But, Sam and Finn Parker saw the flames and were able to get their three-year-old brother Jasper, their grandmother and their downstairs tenant out and unharmed.

Friday morning the duo were awarded with the Victoria Fire Department’s Citizens Meritorious Award for what they did.

“The performance that these guys demonstrated on that day … in my opinion it was very courageous,” said Victoria Fire Chief Bruce Paul. “By definition, courage doesn’t mean the absence of fear, it’s the act of managing your fears, keeping everything in a proper perspective and doing what you know to be best, and keeping that all in a sensible order in a chaotic situation. It’s very impressive for a couple young guys.”

The fire happened March 19 when both teens were at home with their brother and grandmother.

Sam Parker, 16, had quickly gone upstairs to change, and when he came downstairs he found Jasper sitting next to flames.

“The weird thing was, you couldn’t hear anything. No glass breaking, nothing, but I came downstairs and I saw big glass on the floor, the curtains were on fire in the living room,” Sam said.”So I grabbed Jasper and brought him back to the back yard, and I went back to the living room, grabbed the fire extinguisher and I yelled ‘fire!’”

READ: Large fire destroys home on McClure Street in Victoria

That’s when Finn, 13, realized something was wrong.

“I came downstairs and saw it, then I thought I have to get out,” he said. “I went downstairs to where the tenants are and knocked very, very loudly, and then I got Thomas, one of our tenants out.”

Sam and Finn Parker each received a Citizen’s Meritorious Award from the Victoria Fire Department for making sure everyone got out when their house caught fire in March. Nicole Crescenzi/VICTORIA NEWS

The boys continued to try to extinguish the fire, but the fire spread too fast in the character home. They made sure everyone, including their grandmother, was out then rushed outside to wait for the fire department.

Their home was destroyed, leaving no personal belongings for either boy, except Finn’s bicycle which had been parked outside. “But, that got stolen a couple weeks after the fire happened, which wasn’t great. It was really nice and the only thing that survived,” he said.

RELATED: McClure house fire saw Victoria firefighters use drone for first time in live situation

The boys’ parents were horrified when they got home, but that terror soon turned to relief.

“As a dad I’m very very proud of how my boys handled the situation, everyone got out safe and sound,” said their father, Mike McComb, adding that the whole experience has been bittersweet. “It’s hard to be happy and sad at the same time, but today’s a proud day, it’s all about the boys.”

When asked what it felt like to get the award, the brothers had distinctly different reactions.

“I feel really happy about it, I feel a little nervous, too,” said Sam. “It just feels really good to be honoured like this.”

Finn was more matter-of-fact about it.

“I feel like it’s something anyone would have done in the same situation,” he said. “Being awarded seems odd to me; it seems natural to help when there’s a crisis at the time.”

nicole.crescenzi@vicnews.com

Victoria Fire Department

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

 

Sam and Finn Parker’s brother Jasper, three, got out safely from their burning house because his brothers’ quick thinking. Nicole Crescenzi/ VICTORIA NEWS

Just Posted

Popular octopus art stolen from Colwood neighbourhood

Knitted utility pole artwork went missing Monday afternoon

Construction begins soon on one-lane stretch of Highway 14 near Port Renfrew

Roadway has been narrowed since heavy rainfall caused slope to fail in 2018

Product seized from a Victoria cannabis compassion club for a second time

The Cannabis Buyers Club has been operating on Johnson Street since 2001

Matching donor steps up as Victoria Hospitals Foundation postpones annual gala

Last year the gala raised $1 million for priority leading-edge imaging equipment

21 new COVID-19 cases confirmed in B.C. as virus ‘silently circulates’ in broader community

Health officials urge British Columbians to enjoy summer safely as surge continues

Greater Victoria Crime Stoppers wanted list for the week of July 13

Greater Victoria Crime Stoppers is seeking the public’s help in locating the… Continue reading

Tough time for tree fruits as some B.C. farm products soar

Province reports record 2019 sales, largely due to cannabis

‘Let’s all do a self-check’: Okanagan mayor reacts to racist vandalism targeting local family

Home of Indo-Canadian family in Summerland was targeted on evening of July 13

Province agrees to multimillion-dollar payout for alleged victims of Kelowna social worker

Robert Riley Saunders is accused of misappropriating funds of children — often Indigenous — in his care

Feds fund safe drug supply pilot program for Cowichan

The opioid overdose crisis continues to be one of the most serious public health crises

B.C. businessman David Sidoo gets 3 months behind bars for college admissions scam

Sidoo was sentenced for hiring someone take the SATs in place of his two sons

PHOTOS: Inside a newly-listed $22M mega-mansion on ALR land in B.C.

The large home, located on ALR land, is one of the last new mansions to legally be built on ALR land

Most Read