Sgt. Steve Eassie is urging teens to consider the context of their social media posts after a 15-year-old's online joke led police to use significant resources to mitigate a perceived threat toward his high school.

Update: 15-year-old arrested for social media ‘joke’

The teen warned students not to go to school on a social media group

A 15-year-old male student was arrested last week, following a threatening social media post toward his high school that was meant as a joke.

Late on Wednesday, Oct. 28, Saanich Police received multiple calls about a concerning post on a social media group related to, but not run by, a local high school. The post contained a photo of a weapon and a caption warning students not to attend school the following day.

As a result of the perceived threat, police used significant resources to track down the suspect and prevent a possible attack on the school.

“Other files that we had perhaps had in the days leading up to that had to be taken and put on the back burner,” said police spokesperson Sgt. Steve Eassie at a press conference on Thursday. “This had a profound effect on our regular business hours on that day in question.”

Police coordinated with officials from School District 61 and posted uniformed officers outside the school the next morning, with non-uniformed officers inside, to ensure the safety and well-being of students.

Investigators identified the youth in question, who was taken into custody at his home.

“He did admit to taking the photograph, he admitted to posting the photograph and his expression was that he didn’t think that doing so would be perceived the way that it was,” said Eassie, adding that police recovered the weapon and confirmed it is a legal weapon.

“The youth in question had intended it to be nothing more than a joke or a prank of some sort. He has indicated there was no intention whatsoever to follow through on the perceived threat.”

The youth since been released with the promise to appear in court later this month, and on the condition he refrain from using social media. Initially, the teen was also given a condition not to attend the high school in question, but an application to the court has allowed him to return to the school.

Charges of Mischief Under $5000 have been recommended and the information from the investigation has been forwarded to Crown for approval.

Recognizing that publicizing the event may lead to copycat incidents, Eassie said the department wants to use the ramifications of this “joke” to deter others from making similar posts on social media.

“We’re putting the information out today as a warning to others that may use social media sites to really consider the context of what they’re posting,” he said. “Clearly, if you’re posting something that could be perceived as a threat to the public or another individual, you’re crossing a very fine line.”

Eassie urged parents to be aware of what social media sites and applications their children use, and asked all students to consider how a post may be perceived before putting something online.

jacob.zinn@saanichnews.com

Just Posted

Confusing parking lot blamed for cars tipping into flowerbeds at Peninsula Canadian Tire

Tow and repairs cost thousands, engineer says drivers’ responsibility, Canadian Tire stay quiet

Saanich says it will take months to fix a sink hole that appeared during ‘Snowmaggedon’

Roads closed in the area after the sink hole first opened in early February

Saanich councillor ‘chose pragmatism over politics’ in opposing EDPA replacement

Coun. Rebecca Mersereau acknowledged her opposition shocked many of her supporters

New secondary school planned for north Langford

Province announces $18.6 million in funding for site

PHOTOS: Car Free YYJ entertains the masses in Victoria

Third annual fair where cars are banned goes off without a hitch

WATCH: Barbers battle it out in Victoria

‘Barber Battle’ saw stylists and barbers from across North America go head-to-head

Suicide confirmed in case of B.C. father who’d been missing for months

2018 disappearance sparked massive search for Ben Kilmer

Eight U.S. senators write to John Horgan over B.C. mining pollution

The dispute stems from Teck Resources’ coal mines in B.C.’s Elk Valley

Threats charge against Surrey’s Jaspal Atwal stayed

Atwal, 64, was at centre of controversy in 2018 over his attendance at prime minister’s reception in India

Anti-vaxxer Robert F. Kennedy Jr. to speak in Surrey

He’s keynote speaker at Surrey Environment and Business Awards luncheon by Surrey Board of Trade Sept. 17

Otters devour 150 trout at Kootenay hatchery

The hatchery has lost close to 150 fish in the past several months

B.C. church’s Pride flag defaced for second time in 12 days

Delta’s Ladner United Church says it will continue to fly the flag for Pride month

Update: Two shot, two arrested at Toronto Raptors victory rally

The team and several dignitaries, including Justin Trudeau, remained on stage

Oil and gas sector cautious as deadline on Trans Mountain decision nears

Trudeau government expected to announce whether it will approve pipeline for second time on Tuesday

Most Read