Victoria city council approves tent city

City won't interfere with Occupy Victoria protest at Centennial Square as long as they remain peaceful

Jeffrey Hodgins kneels while pointing to a sign he chalked onto the pavement at the Occupy Victoria site in Centennial Square . Hodgins message said  Land Reform

Jeffrey Hodgins kneels while pointing to a sign he chalked onto the pavement at the Occupy Victoria site in Centennial Square . Hodgins message said Land Reform

Victoria council has given its thumbs up to the Occupy Victoria tent protest at Centennial Square.

With only Coun. Geoff Young opposing, council Thursday said it will support Occupy Victoria as long the the protesters remain peaceful and restrict themselves to using “non-violent assembly” to get their message out.

The protest is part of a “worldwide citizens’ movement to address historic and existing inequalities in financial and governmental institutions, policies and practices,” council said in its motion.

“The People’s Assembly of Victoria represents local resident participation and public engagement in this global protest and dialogue.”

Council’s action effectively ends any threat using police to clear out Centennial Square protesters who have set up about 60 tents at Centennial Square where the Downtown Victoria Business Association plans to set up a large temporary public skating rink next month.

Protest spokespeople and the DVBA have been meeting regularly to reach a compromise.

Although no formal agreement has been reached to shift some tents into an area of the square that won’t interfere with the ice rink, People’s Assembly of Victoria spokesperson Anushka Nagji said most of protest campers “don’t mind moving.”

But it’s not a unanimous, she said.

Some protesters don’t like the idea of relocating and might not move due to the unwritten rules of the camp where individuals cannot be forced to accommodate the rest.

“It’s up to them themselves to decide whether to move,” said Nagji.

Mayor Dean Fortin said while it is a fluid situation he has “every indication they will “work with us” because the protesters “don’t want to be the Grinch that stole Christmas.”

Asked whether he has set a deadline on how long the city will allow the protest camp to stay in place, Fortin said the city won’t take police action as long as the situation remains peaceful and no criminal activity takes place.

“Right now we have no deadline,” said Fortin, adding that he is closely monitoring what happens at other Occupy protest camps to get a feel for what might happen next in Victoria.

“I’m going day by day,” he said.

About 15 protest tents are currently on the exact spot the Downtown Victoria Business Association has an agreement with the city to set up a 17×11-metre outdoor ice rink for public use.

Nagji said Fortin has “chatted” with some protesters and gave them a map of sections of the square he would like to see free of tents in order to allow the ice rink.

The DVBA has plans to install the ice rink on Nov. 21 and formally open it to the public on Nov. 26 until Jan. 2 when it will be taken down.

Nagji said the People’s Assembly has set up a “vigilance detail” of four men who patrol the protest camp at night to ensure it remains quiet and peaceful.

She said the main source of the few problems that arise occur after downtown bars close and rowdies pose noise and physical risk to the sleeping protests.

So far nothing has happened that the security detail hasn’t been able to diffuse, including handling a tiny element of Victoria’s homeless community “bent on creating problems,” said Nagji.

As a last resort, she said Victoria police would be called for help if any situation threatened the safety of the protesters.

Just Posted

HMCS Corner Brook returned to Victoria’s waters for the first time since 2015 on June 10. (Courtesy of the Royal Canadian Navy)
WATCH: Navy surveillance submarine returning to Victoria waters

HMCS Corner Brook one of first submarines to receive new communications systems

A new multi-family residential project at the corner of Hillside Avenue and Cook Street will feature nine below market-priced units aimed at middle-income, first-time homebuyers, through a partnership between BC Housing and the developer. (Courtesy City of Victoria)
Middle-income first time homebuyers gain access to nine homes in Victoria

BC Housing partners with development community to create affordable purchases

The District of Saanich has pinpointed funding requests to Oak Bay and Victoria to help offset the purchase price of the Kings Park greenspace and keep the property intact. (Courtesy District of Saanich)
Saanich requests funding help from neighbours to preserve Kings Road green space

District hopes Victoria and Oak Bay will join them in protecting urban green space

Thriving Toots Wilderness School is trying to buy a 98-acre plot of undeveloped land from the Boys and Girls’ Club of Greater Victoria in Metchosin. (Contributed/Thriving Roots)
Hopeful buyers of Boys and Girls’ Club land in Metchosin would keep it wild

Nature-based school, partners trying to secure financing to buy 98-acre property: school director

(Black Press Media file photo)
COVID-19 exposure closes Oak Bay pub, restaurant

Penny Farthing, Vis-a-Vis expected to reopen Wednesday after deep clean

Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau participates in a plenary session at the G7 Summit in Carbis Bay, England on Friday June 11, 2021. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Adrian Wyld
Canada donating 13M surplus COVID-19 vaccine doses to poor countries

Trudeau says the government will pay for 87 million shots to be distributed to poor countries

RCMP Const. Shelby Patton is shown in this undated handout photo. RCMP say that Patton was hit by an allegedly stolen truck that he had pulled over on Saturday morning in Wolseley, east of Regina. THE CANADIAN PRESS/HO, RCMP
Pair charged in Saskatchewan Mountie’s death make first court appearance

Const. Shelby Patton was hit by an allegedly stolen truck that he had pulled over Saturday morning

David and Collet Stephan leave for a break during an appeal hearing in Calgary on Thursday, March 9, 2017. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Todd Korol
Appeal Court rejects stay for Alberta couple facing third trial in son’s death

Pair accused in their earlier trials of not seeking medical attention for their son sooner

Highway notices like this come down effective June 14. Public health restrictions on non-essential travel and commercial operation have hit local businesses in every corner of B.C. (B.C. government)
Province-wide travel back on in B.C.’s COVID-19 restart plan

Gathering changes include up to 50 people for outdoor events

Calgary Stampeders’ Jerome Messam leaps over a tackle during second half CFL western semifinal football action in Calgary, Sunday, Nov. 15, 2015.THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jeff McIntosh
CFL football will be played this summer in Canada

Governors vote unanimously in favour to start the ‘21 campaign on Aug. 5

Citizenship Minister Marco Mendicino holds a press conference in Ottawa on Thursday, Nov. 12, 2020. The federal government is announcing that Indigenous people can now apply to reclaim their names on passports and other government documents. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Sean Kilpatrick
Indigenous people can now reclaim traditional names on their passports and other ID

Announcement applies to all individuals of First Nations, Inuit and Métis background

Harvesting hay in the Fraser Valley. (Tom Fletcher/Black Press)
COVID-19: B.C. waives farm income requirement for a second year

Property owners don’t need minimum income for 2022 taxes

Cruise ship passengers arrive at Juneau, Alaska in 2018. Cruise lines have begun booking passengers for trips from Seattle to Alaska as early as this July, bypassing B.C. ports that are not allowed to have visitors until March 2022 under a Canadian COVID-19 restrictions. (Michael Penn/Juneau Empire)
B.C. doesn’t depend on U.S. law to attract cruise ships, Horgan says

Provinces to get update next week on Canada’s border closure

This undated photo provided by Girl Scouts of New Mexico Trails shows a scout donating cookies to firefighters in Rio Rancho, New Mexico, as part of the Hometown Heroes program. As the coronavirus pandemic wore into the spring selling season, many Girl Scout troops nixed their traditional cookie booths for safety reasons. That resulted in millions of boxes of unsold cookies. (Girl Scouts of New Mexico Trails via AP)
Thinner Mints: Girl Scouts have millions of unsold cookies

Since majority of cookies are sold in-person, pandemic made the shortfall expected

Most Read