A number of common household cleaners cannot be mixed as they create dangerous chemical reactions. (Pixabay)

A number of common household cleaners cannot be mixed as they create dangerous chemical reactions. (Pixabay)

Woman treated in View Royal after mixing cleaners

Chemical reaction similar in nature to mustard gas warns fire chief

A woman was injured after mixing two cleaning chemicals in View Royal Wednesday evening.

View Royal Fire Rescue was called to the Shell gas station on Six Mile Road at approximately 5:30 p.m. for a hazardous materials inhalation injury after a staff member mixed two cleaning chemicals.

The woman mixed a Comet cleaner and bleach, which results in a highly toxic gas similar in nature to chlorine or mustard gas.

Fire Chief Paul Hurst noted in this instance the employee was very fortunate that she left the enclosed area when the gas formed. However, she was still exposed to the chemical reaction and suffered some injuries.

She was transported to Victoria General Hospital by B.C. Ambulance Service.

Hurst noted this is a good reminder to read warning labels on cleaning products and to never mix products.

katie@goldstreamgazette.com

View Royal Fire Rescue

Be Among The First To Know

Sign up for a free account today, and receive top headlines in your inbox Monday to Saturday.

Sign Up with google Sign Up with facebook

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Reset your password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

A link has been emailed to you - check your inbox.



Don't have an account? Click here to sign up