Re: Prescription: fight global warming, Guest View, (News, Oct.10)
Having just read David Suzuki’s last column in Saanich News, and also having just finished reading Naomi Klein’s ground-breaking book, This Changes Everything (“This” meaning climate change), I am prompted to try and bring it all together. As David says, “We must act now.”
I have 5 suggestions:
1. Instead of subsidizing oil and gas exploration and extraction, give these large amounts of money to the development of Clean Energy, wind, solar, tidal, thermal etc.
2. Stop the construction of the Site C dam and the flooding of prime agricultural land.
3. Prevent the building of the proposed oil pipeline known as the Northern Gateway pipeline.
4. Prevent the expansion of the Kinder Morgan pipeline.
5. Ban oil tankers from navigating the hazardous channels along our West Coast.
I attended Guy Dauncey’s heart-warming talk last week at the University of Victoria entitled: Could B.C. become a 100 per cent Renewable Energy Region?
The answer is yes, if we the public and our provincial government put our minds to it. We all need to take up the challenge, for the sake of our future generations.
Daphne M. Taylor