fire

Firefighters continued to combat hot spots Thursday at the Plaza Hotel fire at 603 Pandora Ave. (Nicole Crescenzi/News Staff)

4 million gallons of water used on downtown Victoria fire so far

Firefighters continue to battle hot spots four days after it began

Firefighters continued to combat hot spots Thursday at the Plaza Hotel fire at 603 Pandora Ave. (Nicole Crescenzi/News Staff)
Victoria City Hall is opening Thursday morning after a three-day closure (Nicole Crescenzi/ News Staff)

Victoria City Hall reopens days after downtown fire

The building was closed due to poor air quality

Victoria City Hall is opening Thursday morning after a three-day closure (Nicole Crescenzi/ News Staff)
Fire crews were still dousing the Plaza Hotel with water Tuesday afternoon as demolition began. (Shalu Mehta/News Staff)

Victoria Fire Department brings in rigs to help stop fire

Arson not ruled out, investigation can’t begin until area is cleared

Fire crews were still dousing the Plaza Hotel with water Tuesday afternoon as demolition began. (Shalu Mehta/News Staff)
Fire crews battled a downtown fire on May 6 (Nicole Crescenzi/News Staff)

Downtown Victoria building failed two fire inspections before catching fire

The Plaza Hotel was scheduled for a May 8 follow-up inspection

Fire crews battled a downtown fire on May 6 (Nicole Crescenzi/News Staff)
(Nicole Crescenzi/News Staff)

One man missing in relation to downtown Victoria fire

The Victoria Fire Department and VicPD are looking for the building’s caretaker

(Nicole Crescenzi/News Staff)
Sidney Fire responded to a struck gas line Friday at noon. (Nick Murray/News Staff)

Broken gas line results in 20 people evacuated in Sidney

People evacuated for 40 minutes while specialists made gas line safe

Sidney Fire responded to a struck gas line Friday at noon. (Nick Murray/News Staff)
Half of the tenants of the Craigflower Road property should be able to move back in by April 27 (Nina Grossman/News Staff)

Fire damage to Esquimalt building leaves some tenants out for at least six months

Structural damage has barred half of the tenants from returning, while others might move back sooner

Half of the tenants of the Craigflower Road property should be able to move back in by April 27 (Nina Grossman/News Staff)
Friends identify Judith Rose Burke as the victim of Sunday’s fatal apartment fire. (Judith Burke Facebook)

Remembering Judith Rose Burke

Burke died during a fire in her fourth-floor apartment in Esquimalt on Sunday

Friends identify Judith Rose Burke as the victim of Sunday’s fatal apartment fire. (Judith Burke Facebook)
Heavy smoke took over an hour to extinguish after a fire ripped through an Esquimalt apartment building Sunday afternoon. (Keri Coles/News staff)

Esquimalt apartment fire caused by human error

The fatal fire started in the victim’s unit

Heavy smoke took over an hour to extinguish after a fire ripped through an Esquimalt apartment building Sunday afternoon. (Keri Coles/News staff)
Four fire departments and more than 30 firefighters were on scene at a structure fire in Esquimalt on Sunday. It is believed that one person has died in the fire. (Nina Grossman/News Staff)

One woman confirmed dead following Esquimalt fire

Sunday fire tears through top floor of four-storey residential building on Craigflower Road

Four fire departments and more than 30 firefighters were on scene at a structure fire in Esquimalt on Sunday. It is believed that one person has died in the fire. (Nina Grossman/News Staff)
Witnesses reported seeing the woman smoking at a site where a brush fire started along Dallas Road on Saturday (Keri Coles/News staff)

Victoria Fire Department advises cigarette safety after two fires started in one week

Two separate fires caused by cigarette butts were avoidable

Witnesses reported seeing the woman smoking at a site where a brush fire started along Dallas Road on Saturday (Keri Coles/News staff)
Sidney fire fixes flagpole, donates flag

Sidney fire fixes flagpole, donates flag

Volunteer fire department sends three men up ladders to fix the flagpole and replace flag

Sidney fire fixes flagpole, donates flag
Jenny Lou was studying music and vocal performance at The Victoria Conservatory of Music when the house she was living in burned down. (File contributed/Jenny Lou)

Victoria music grad lives through McClure fire and gets Nashville contract

Jenny Lou was studying at the Victoria Conservatory of music when her home went up in flames

Jenny Lou was studying music and vocal performance at The Victoria Conservatory of Music when the house she was living in burned down. (File contributed/Jenny Lou)
A recycling truck burst into flame on McClure St. between Linden and Cook. No one was injured, but at least one surrounding vehicle was damaged. Nicole Crescenzi/VICTORIA NEWS

UPDATE: Recycling truck destroyed by fire in Victoria

Emterra truck sitting on McLure Street in residential neighbourhood, driver safe

A recycling truck burst into flame on McClure St. between Linden and Cook. No one was injured, but at least one surrounding vehicle was damaged. Nicole Crescenzi/VICTORIA NEWS
Victoria fire crews mop up the scene after attacking a fire in the fourth-floor corner suite seen in this photo. The fire was contained to the one suite, leaving the tenant needing to find someplace to stay for a while. Don Descoteau/Victoria News

One tenant displaced by fire in Cedar Hill Road apartment

Crews contain fire to fourth-floor suite, appears to have started in living room

Victoria fire crews mop up the scene after attacking a fire in the fourth-floor corner suite seen in this photo. The fire was contained to the one suite, leaving the tenant needing to find someplace to stay for a while. Don Descoteau/Victoria News
This Volkswagen van was destroyed by fire Saturday, while a vehicle next to it was also damaged by the flames bursting out the sides of the van. Details are still coming in but apparently no one was badly hurt in the blaze. Photo by Edd Macdonald

Raging fire in VW van causes excitement on Wark Street in Victoria

Firefighters from nearby hall arrive quickly but blaze already fully involved

  • Jul 23, 2017
This Volkswagen van was destroyed by fire Saturday, while a vehicle next to it was also damaged by the flames bursting out the sides of the van. Details are still coming in but apparently no one was badly hurt in the blaze. Photo by Edd Macdonald
A hedge on fire along Veyaness Road in Central Saanich in this file photo. (Liz Waibel/PNR Files)

Coastal fire ban in effect for all Peninsula municipalities, Gulf Islands

Residents encouraged to be FireSmart and properly dispose of cigarettes

  • Jul 19, 2017
A hedge on fire along Veyaness Road in Central Saanich in this file photo. (Liz Waibel/PNR Files)
Victoria firefighters are in discussion before heading into an apartment building at 443 Superior St. Fire in a back area third-floor suite forced evacuation of the building early Tuesday evening. Six suites in all were affected, but all residents were were still outside hours after the blaze was called in, as fire crews mopped up and cleared the hallways of acrid smoke residue. Don Descoteau/Victoria News

Victoria apartment fire forces evacuation of multi-suite building

No one home in suite where fire started, everyone got out ok: VFD

Victoria firefighters are in discussion before heading into an apartment building at 443 Superior St. Fire in a back area third-floor suite forced evacuation of the building early Tuesday evening. Six suites in all were affected, but all residents were were still outside hours after the blaze was called in, as fire crews mopped up and cleared the hallways of acrid smoke residue. Don Descoteau/Victoria News
UPDATED: Cause of barge fire on Gorge Waterway remains undetermined

UPDATED: Cause of barge fire on Gorge Waterway remains undetermined

The barge poses too many hazards for investigators.

UPDATED: Cause of barge fire on Gorge Waterway remains undetermined
Fire at a Pacifica Housing’s Briarwood complex at 1253 Johnson St. saw five families including 12 to 14 residents displaced. The fire started in one of the suites late Saturday afternoon. Don Descoteau/Victoria News

Fire rips through suite at Victoria subsidized housing complex

Five families, at least a dozen people, displaced by Johnson Street fire

Fire at a Pacifica Housing’s Briarwood complex at 1253 Johnson St. saw five families including 12 to 14 residents displaced. The fire started in one of the suites late Saturday afternoon. Don Descoteau/Victoria News