(News Bulletin file)

Coast Hotel and workers reach tentative deal

Deal between hotel chain and union representing Nanaimo, Victoria workers reached early Friday

A tentative deal has been struck between the Coast Hotel chain and the union representing hotel workers in Nanaimo and Victoria.

According to Linda Hagen, Coast Hotels spokeswoman, and Octavian Cadabeschi, Unite Here Local 40 spokesman, an agreement proposal was reached at 3:30 a.m. on Friday, Dec. 14, and Cadabeschi said while it still needs to be ratified by its membership, the union is recommending deal approval.

“Our bargaining committee was quite happy with it and we’re going to go have a ratification vote sometime early next week and for the moment, there is no lockout or strike,” said Cadabeschi.

RELATED: Workers at Coast Bastion Hotel on 24-hour strike

RELATED: Coast Hotel issues lockout notice

Both the hotel and union said they couldn’t give details about the deal currently, but Hagen did say it is for a term of three years.

“We are absolutely delighted,” Hagen told the News Bulletin. “We certainly want to thank the Local 40 and their team. We were all working towards finding an agreement that was supportive to our ambassadors and sustainable for the company and sometimes that can take a bit of work. But we all stuck with it and we’re able to say today that it’s business as usual at our three hotels.”

The union went on a 24-hour strike last Saturday and on Tuesday, the hotel applied for lockout notice.

Emergency mediation, with B.C. arbitrator and mediator Ken Saunders, took place Wednesday and Thursday.

The union said it sought higher wages to match cost of living increases and voiced concerns about heavy workloads for housekeeping staff, while the hotel said it sought to ensure workers are able to make a good living and that the hotel and company remain profitable.

In addition to the workers at the Coast Bastion Hotel in Nanaimo, the deal also affects workers in Victoria and Prince George.



reporter@nanaimobulletin.com

Like us on Facebook and follow Karl on Twitter and Instagram

Just Posted

Relative of man found dead in Saanich says he was missing for years

RCMP and a private detective had been searching for him since 2012

UPDATED: Oak Bay father takes stand, denies killing young daughters

Andrew Berry has plead not guilty to the December 2017 deaths of his two daughters

Saanich Police warn of counterfeit money being used

Several fake $100 bills have been reported in Greater Victoria

Man who killed Langford teen attended her memorial service, demonstrates little remorse

Parole Board of Canada documents reveal factors in parole decision

Raccoon hits vehicle head on, captured on video

One of many strange sights on Sunday for one Victoria cyclist

VIDEO: Title of 25th Bond movie is ‘No Time to Die’

The film is set to be released in April 2020

Greater Victoria wanted list for the week of Aug. 23

Greater Victoria Crime Stoppers is seeking the public’s help in locating the… Continue reading

POLL: Should there be a ban on gas-powered leaf blowers?

We’ve all heard them, and most likely cursed them under our breath.… Continue reading

New study suggests autism overdiagnosed: Canadian expert

Laurent Mottron: ‘Autistic people we test now are less and less different than typical people’

Trans Mountain gives contractors 30 days to get workers, supplies ready for pipeline

Crown corporation believes the expansion project could be in service by mid-2022

Rosemount cooked diced chicken linked to listeria case in B.C.

The symptoms of listeria include vomiting, nausea, fever, muscle aches

B.C. seniors allowed more choice to stay in assisted living

Province doesn’t need to wait for a complaint to investigate care, Adrian Dix says

Retired B.C. fisherman wins record $60M Lotto Max jackpot

Joseph Katalinic won the biggest Lotto Max prize ever awarded

Island manslaughter suspect found not guilty in Supreme Court

Court accepts accused’s argument of self-defence for 2017 incident in Courtenay

Most Read