Saanich resident says it’s reasonable for the district to replace it’s leaf blowers with electric models by 2025. (Pixabay)

Saanich resident says it’s reasonable for the district to replace it’s leaf blowers with electric models by 2025. (Pixabay)

Resident pushes for electric in Saanich’s leaf blower replacement plan

Saanich owns more than 80 leaf blowers, 51 of which will expire by 2025

The District of Saanich owns 83 leaf blowers and Teale Phelps Bondaroff, the Saanich resident pushing for a gas-powered leaf blower ban, wants them replaced with electric models by 2025.

Phelps Bondaroff feels the District could phase out gas-powered models as they expire and replace them with greener models that produce less noise and less pollution.

The District’s leaf blowers are allocated to various departments and the Parks Department, the Public Works Section, the recreation centres and the Cedar Hill Golf Course.

While make and model data hasn’t been recorded for the eight leaf blowers used at Saanich’s recreation centres and the Cedar Hill Golf Course, the public works and parks departments keep detailed inventories.

They use 75 leaf blowers and seven are electric.

READ ALSO: Saanich resident calling for gas powered leaf blower ban finds support as autumn leaves fall

READ ALSO: POLL: Should there be a ban on gas-powered leaf blowers?

The parks department expects their leaf blowers – both gas-powered and electric – to have a life expectancy of five to seven years. All of the machines the department currently owns will need to be replaced by 2025 which melds with Phelps Bondaroff’s replacement suggestion.

He feels letting the District’s gas-powered leaf-blowers be used until they die and then replacing them with electric models would save Saanich money while still making a positive step towards reducing noise pollution and emissions – which would fit with the Districts’s carbon reduction plans.

“It’s a change that has to happen,” said Phelps Bondaroff. “It’s just about how and when.”

Phelps Bondaroff has a petition, with more than 300 signatures so far, that he plans to present it to council this winter.


@devonscarlett
Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

devon.bidal@saanichnews.com

Just Posted

Kay Gallivan paints a mural on the east wall of North Park’s Tiny Home Village (Kiernan Green / Victoria News Staff)
North Park Tiny Home Village opens at Royal Athletic Park lot to 30 unhoused

Residents will settle into new private units and the North Park community over the weekend

Commonwealth Place recreation centre was shut down before 8 a.m. on Friday following a power outage. (Saanich Parks, Recreation and Community Services/Twitter)
Saanich Commonwealth Place closed due to power outage, outdoor classes still running

Indoor classes, programs at pool and weight room halted

The woman also received distracted driving tickets in 2018 and 2019. (Black Press File Photo)
Oak Bay driver gets third distracted driving ticket in four years

Officer caught the woman using her phone while at the wheel

Daily confirmed COVID-19 cases reported to B.C. public health, seven-day rolling average in white, to May 12, 2021. (B.C. Centre for Disease Control)
B.C. preparing ‘Restart 2.0’ from COVID-19 as June approaches

Daily infections fall below 500 Friday, down to 387 in hospital

Sinikka Gay Elliott was reported missing on Salt Spring Island on Wednesday, May 12. (Courtesty Salt Spring RCMP)
MISSING: Salt Spring RCMP find woman’s car, still seek Island resident

Sinikka Gay Elliott is 5’3” with a slim build and dark brown short hair

Anyone with information on any of these individuals is asked to call 1-800-222-TIPS (8477) or visit the website victoriacrimestoppers.ca for more information.
Greater Victoria Crime Stoppers wanted list for the week of May 11

Greater Victoria Crime Stoppers is seeking the public’s help in locating the… Continue reading

A Saanich man received almost 10 years in Supreme Court in Courtenay for a shooting incident from 2018. Record file photo
Shooting incident on Island nets almost 10-year sentence

Saanich man was arrested without incident north of Courtenay in 2018

Bradley Priestap in an undated photo provided to the media some time in 2012 by the London Police Service.
Serial sex-offender acquitted of duct tape possession in B.C. provincial court

Ontario sex offender on long-term supervision order was found with one of many ‘rape kit’ items

Rich Coleman, who was responsible for the gaming file off and on from 2001 to 2013, was recalled after his initial testimony to the Cullen Commission last month. (Screenshot)
Coleman questioned over $460K transaction at River Rock during B.C. casinos inquiry

The longtime former Langley MLA was asked about 2011 interview on BC Almanac program

Steven Shearer, <em>Untitled. </em>(Dennis Ha/Courtesy of Steven Shearer)
Vancouver photographer’s billboards taken down after complaints about being ‘disturbing’

‘Context is everything’ when it comes to understanding these images, says visual art professor Catherine Heard

Most Read