Cadboro-Gyro Park remains sits empty after it was closed on March 20 along with Saanich’s other playgrounds due to the COVID-19 pandemic. (Devon Bidal/News Staff)

Saanich playgrounds sit empty due to COVID-19

Residents abiding by closures, respecting social distancing, District spokesperson says

Saanich playgrounds remain empty after being closed to the public on March 20 due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

The municipality closed playgrounds after receiving complaints from residents that some playground users were not practising physical distancing, explained Megan Catalano, information officer for the Saanich Emergency Operations Centre (EOC).

READ ALSO: Playgrounds across the South Island close as COVID-19 spreads

Warning signs were posted throughout playgrounds to indicate the closure, but on March 20, Saanich resident Shayla Pready shot a video of parents and kids still playing on the Cadboro-Gyro Park playground. She posted the video to social media and it had been viewed more than 100,000 times on Facebook in just a few days.

Saanich Mayor Fred Haynes also saw the video and was concerned about residents’ safety.

READ ALSO: VIDEO: Saanich locks down playgrounds after video of busy park goes viral

“Surfaces can keep the virus active for many hours,” and as it’s tough to keep children from touching their faces, those using a playground after someone with the virus had been there could become ill, Haynes told Black Press Media at the time.

He directed municipal staff to take action. On the morning of March 23, Saanich staff were sent out to tape off and, in some cases, lock up equipment at the District’s nearly 70 playgrounds.

READ ALSO: COVID-19: A roundup of park and recreation closures across Greater Victoria

Since then, the community has been respecting the playground closures “and doing their part to abide by the guidelines set out by the Provincial Health Office,” said EOC information officer Kelsie McLeod. “We would like to thank the community for their efforts and encourage everyone to keep up the great work.”

She added that Saanich is monitoring advice from the province and will reopen the playground facilities when it’s safe to do so. For now, the structures sit empty, tied off with caution tape, until play can resume.

-With files from Nina Grossman.


@devonscarlett
Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

devon.bidal@saanichnews.com

CoronavirusDistrict of Saanich

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

VIDEO: Neighbours help Sidney woman mark 103rd birthday with surprise parade

Barbara Chorlton celebrates her ‘best birthday so far’

Racism is here too, say Victoria’s black community leaders

White Victorians have role to play in combatting systems of oppression, prejudice

Shortage of foreign workers costs Saanich Peninsula berry farmer thousands

Gobind Farms says hiring local has been difficult during pandemic

Pedestrian, cycling overpass now open at McKenzie Interchange

Bridge connects Portage Road, Galloping Goose Regional Trail

VIDEO: B.C. dentist gets grand welcome home after two months in hospital fighting COVID-19

Michael Chow was given a surprise send off by hospital staff and ‘welcome home’ from neighbours

‘Like finding a needle in a haystack’: Ancient arrowhead discovered near Williams Lake

The artifact is believed to be from the Nesikip period between 7,500 BP to 6,000 BP

Indigenous families say their loved ones’ deaths in custody are part of pattern

Nora Martin joins other Indigenous families in calling for a significant shift in policing

PHOTOS: Anti-racism protesters gather in communities across B.C.

More protests are expected through the weekend

Indigenous chief alleges RCMP beat him during arrest that began over expired licence plate

Athabasca Chipewyan Chief Allan Adam calling for independent investigation

‘I’m pissed, I’m outraged’: Federal minister calls out police violence against Indigenous people

Indigenous Minister Marc Miller spoke on recent incidents, including fatal shooting of a B.C. woman

UPDATED: Pair accused of ‘horrific’ assault at Vancouver’s Oppenheimer Park arrested

Police say Jason Tapp, 30, and Nicole Edwards, 33, did not show up to meet their bail supervisor this week

POLL: Are you sending your children back to school this month?

Classrooms looked decidedly different when students headed back to school for the… Continue reading

Most Read