Volunteers are the cornerstone of the Saanich Volunteer Services Society and their frontline community work provides a vast amount of experience to help guide our services.
The recently formed Volunteer Advisory Council provides insight and vital feedback to help the organization continue to deliver on its commitment to serving the community. The council performs an advisory role to safely connect and empower clients and volunteers within the scope of the mission, vision and values of the organization.
Five volunteers have stepped forward to provide this valuable insight, including Marie Jennings, Jaime Traynor, Bill Bassal, John Henson and board member Helene Driscoll. Staff members Caroline Herbert, our Coordinator of Volunteers, and Executive Director Brenda Lynn round out the advisory committee.
The committee will use their deep knowledge and experience in helping guide our principles including:
• Supporting and contributing to the strategic direction of the organization
• Providing volunteer feedback on, and ideas for, initiatives and programs that enhance, ensure and embrace the mission, vision and values
• Serving as experts in creating and revising volunteer, client and agency information and education materials
• Promoting and participating in community promotions and
• Advancing volunteer engagement and best practices in all services and programs
• Promoting the inclusion of all voices in decision-making.
Our Volunteer Advisory Council has a genuine interest in the work we do and a desire to see it done well. Our staff, board members and volunteers are excited by the potential of this new partnership and creation of a culture where the voice of our volunteers is heard providing ideas, expertise, influence and guidance in decision-making, as we continually improve our client-volunteer experiences and services.