For many of us, fall is as much a time of new beginnings as the new year. After a welcome summer break, we begin a new school year, head back to work and return to sports, music lessons and all those other extracurricular activities that paused over the warmer months.
So if September’s arrival has you thinking about all those experiences on your wish list, it’s time to visit Saanich Recreation, home to everything from fitness classes and yoga to art, music, preschool programs and so much more!
Here’s a look at 12 programs you can register for this fall, with options for everyone in the family:
- Balance and Strength – Ideal for older adults, learn strength-based exercises on and around the chair that help improve balance, coordination and stability so you can enjoy your regular activities without fear of falling or injury. Thursdays from 9 to 10 a.m. at Cedar Hill Recreation Centre, beginning Sept. 14. Register using barcode: 103098
- HIIT – This popular fitness class centres around short periods of high-intensity exercise followed by less intense recovery periods. The bursts of intensity will burn fat and increase metabolism long after the workout. You set your own level of intensity. Thursdays from 10:15 to 11:15 a.m. at Cedar Hill Recreation Centre, beginning Sept. 14. Barcode: 102363
- Powerswimming – This new program offers is great for preparing young athletes for water polo, but also fosters endurance, strength and teamwork. Multiple levels are offered Tuesdays or Thursdays from 7 to 8:15 p.m. at Saanich Commonwealth Place, beginning Sept. 19 and 21. Barcode: 103641 (shallow water: Purple, Orange & White Level) or 103640 (Deep water: Evergreen & Red Level)
- Kinekt – Another new group fitness program, this class uses high-energy, HIIT-style rhythmic body weight movement patterns to release stuck energy! Mondays from 6 to 7 p.m. at Saanich Commonwealth Place beginning Sept. 18. Register using barcode 103430
- Shuffle Dance – Learn FUNdamental dance steps, including Running Man, T-step, Charleston and variations – an outstanding way to de-stress and increase stamina and coordination while having fun! Sessions for both youth 10 to 13 years and adults kick off Sept. 17 at Cedar Hill Recreation Centre, running Sundays afternoons. (Barcodes: youth –102983 and adult – 102990) A second adult session begins Nov. 2 at Gordon Head Recreation Centre, running Thursday from 6 to 7 p.m. (Barcode: 102648)
- The Art of Woodburning – This new program is a nice, entry-level art experience ideal for everyone but geared to older adults with little to no art experience. Check it out Tuesdays from 3:15 to 4:45 p.m. at Saanich Commonwealth Place beginning Sept. 19. Barcode: 101745
- Intro to Painting – Another adult program ideal for beginners, explore painting with acrylics or water-soluble oils, with a fun and relaxed instructor. You can even use the centre’s art supplies instead of supplying your own, for a small fee. Wednesdays from 9:30 a.m. to noon at Cedar Hill Recreation Centre, beginning Sept. 13. Barcode: 103484
- Early childhood dance classes – Cedar Hill Recreation Centre is the place to bring your movement-loving preschooler learn new songs and creative dance moves on Tuesdays from 9:30 a.m. to noon, beginning Sept. 12. Choose from Dance & Sing (Barcode: 103513) or Jazz & Hip Hop Fun (Barcode: 103516)
- Stepping Up to Preschool – This transitional drop-off program helps 2 1/2- to 4-year-olds gain their independence so they feel more comfortable going to a preschool. Wednesdays or Thursdays from 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. Saanich Commonwealth Place, beginning Sept. 20 / 21. Barcode: 102311 / 130887
- Outer Space Adventures – One of several two-hour drop-off programs for preschoolers, offered Thursdays from 9:20 to 11:20 a.m. at Saanich Commonwealth Place, beginning Sept. 21. (Barcode: 102276)
- Engineering-Jr. Mechanical: Let’s Make Toys – This fun, educational program for 5- to 7-year-olds with an interest in STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) runs Tuesdays from 4 to 5 p.m. at Saanich Commonwealth Place, beginning Nov. 7. Barcode: 103824
- Beginner Ukulele 8-12yrs – New to Saanich Commonwealth Place for your budding young musician are group ukulele lessons, on Sundays from 9:30 to 10:15 a.m., beginning Sept. 24. Ukulele rentals are available from PJ Music Studio. Barcode: 102457
To learn more and register for these and the many other fall classes coming to a Saanich Recreation Centre near you, click here!