A woman is recovering from minor injuries after a small chemical explosion at the University of Victoria (UVic) on Sunday evening.
Paramedics and firefighters responded to a call about “a small explosion” at the Bob Wright Centre, UVic’s ocean, earth and atmospheric sciences building, around 4:45 p.m. on Aug. 23, according to a spokesperson for BC Emergency Health Services. One person was taken to the hospital with minor injuries.
A student was working on a research project in a chemistry lab when a small explosion occurred in a flask, shattering the glass and cutting her hand, explained Deputy Chief Dan Wood of the Saanich Fire Department. There was no fire and that the chemicals that caused the explosion weren’t toxic, he said. The materials were neutralized by firefighters.
The injured woman’s boyfriend, Adam MacDonald, told Black Press Media that “she is doing well and expected to make a full recovery.” No one else was injured, he said, but would not share further details about the incident as it pertains to research.
A spokesperson for UVic said the university has strict health and safety protocols that students and staff are expected to follow. UVic’s office of Occupational, Health, Safety and Environment is investigating the incident.