Wesbild says it remains committed to the redevelopment of University Heights, but the public cannot expect to see the revised plans until the fall. (Black Press File).

Company commits to redeveloping Saanich’s University Heights

Wesbuild plans to submit revised proposal for shopping complex in the fall

The proposed redevelopment of University Heights will go ahead with a revised plan, but the public will likely have to wait months to see the plan itself.

Wesbild, the property’s owner, has publicly announced that it will redevelop the hub.

“After significant public consultation, and working closely with the District of Saanich, we remain committed to University Heights and are currently working to refine our revitalization plan,” the company said in a statement on the project site. “Please register to receive updates as the project evolves and continues to take shape.”

But if the company has signalled its commitment to the project, its eventual shape will not emerge for some time.

Jen Derbyshire, Wesbild’s director of marketing and community relations, said Tuesday that the company plans to submit its revised proposal in the fall followed by what she called “extensive” community consultations.

The broad strokes of the project remain, mixing commercial usage with rental residential, said Derbyshire. “But it will be different.”

To emphasize this point, Wesbild has scrubbed its project website of previous renderings in suggesting that its new proposal will perhaps be less ambitious. The site instead features more generic imaginary. Previous renderings showed an elegant, even upscale, complex, that would dominate the area if completed.

RELATED: Documents show re-development of Saanich’s University Heights on hold

RELATED: Odds of re-developing Saanich’s University Heights ‘60-40’

The proposed re-development of the shopping complex is perhaps the signature element of broader plans to densify the corridor along Shelbourne Street. Questions about the status of the project emerged in April when public documents described the application as being “on hold” without giving any additional information about the rationale.

When later asked about the likelihood of the project going forward, Steve Forrest, Wesbild’s senior vice-president, said he would give it odds of 60-40 in favour of going ahead, adding that he would have given the project the same odds before the current review.

Forrest said at the time his company is currently “tweaking the development to make it financially viable” after receiving input from the municipality and the public at large. Proposed changes include shrinking the commercial share of the project, lowering its maximum height to six storeys from eight, and making all units available for rental.

Derbyshire said that not much has changed since then.

Kelsie McLeod, a spokesperson for the District of Saanich, said the municipality has not received an updated application from the developer. “Planning will be happy to review once they receive it,” she said.


Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

wolfgang.depner@saanichnews.com

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Pandemic reunites 2000s era Victoria rock band The Origin

Saanich musicians recording for first time since 2008

Local authors nominated for Victoria Book Prize awards

Finalists for 2020 announced in two categories

Patrick brothers who shaped modern hockey also tried, but failed, to remove violence

New history thesis shows efforts to sell a “clean game” in Oak Bay

Central Saanich to formally inform Agricultural Land Commission about soccer pitch proposal

Move is meant for information only with no application having come forward yet

B.C. or Ontario? Residential school survivors fight move of court battle

It’s now up to Ontario’s Court of Appeal to sort out the venue question

POLL: Do you plan on allowing your children to go trick or treating this year?

This popular annual social time will look quite different this year due to COVID-19

B.C. transportation minister will not seek re-election

Claire Trevena has held the position since 2017

Body discovered floating in water near Lasqueti Island

JRCC reports personnel aboard fishing vessel made the find

Young B.C. cancer survivor rides 105-km with Terry Fox’s brother

Jacob Bredenhof and Darrell Fox’s cycling trek raises almost $90,000 for cancer research

B.C. migrant, undocumented workers rally for permanent residency program

Rally is part of the Amnesty for Undocumented Workers Campaign led by the Migrant Workers Centre

Preparations underway for pandemic election in Saskatchewan and maybe B.C.

Administrators in B.C. and around the country are also looking to expand voting by mail during the pandemic

Nearly 20 per cent of COVID-19 infections among health-care workers by late July

WHO acknowledged the possibility that COVID-19 might be spread in the air under certain conditions

Ferry riders say lower fares are what’s most needed to improve service

Provincial government announces findings of public engagement process

Most Read