Early morning fire rips through Langford home

Langford Fire Rescue attended the house on High Forest Place on Dec. 29

A fire ripped through a Langford home early Friday morning, causing extensive damange in the garage and into the upstairs living space.

Langford Fire Rescue was notified of the fire at about 4:30 a.m. on Dec. 29 and, upon arriving at the home at 820 High Forest Pl., found flames emanating from the garage and lapping up the side of the home into the upstairs living space.

The initial fire truck was soon joined by units from all three Langford stations, as well as View Royal Fire Department, and managed to contain the flames to the garage and part of the upstairs living space immediately above it.

“We were very fortunate that the residents in the home were woken by the smoke alarm and had all managed to leave the home before our first truck arrived. They’re very lucky to have gotten out of there before they were injured by the flames or smoke from the fire,” Fire Chief Chris Aubrey said.

“It took our crews about an hour to contain the flames but the guys did a great job and managed to limit the damage. It could have been a lot worse.”

After the initial fire was extinguished, crews remained on the scene to ensure that no hot spots were still active and to start the process of determining the cause of the fire.

“We’re pretty sure that the fire started in the garage, but we don’t have a point of origin as yet,” Aubrey said.

The chief estimates there is roughly $150,000 in damage, but said it was fortunate that most of the home’s contents escaped unscathed from water or smoke damage.

Neither of the homes adjacent to the property were affected, although at noon on Friday, there were still emergency services vehicles on site and a large area of the street was taped off with restricted access to residents only.

Aubrey emphasized the importance of having functioning smoke alarms and used this occurrence as a reminder for everyone to check their own alarms to make sure they are working.


Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

editor@goldstreamgazette.com

Langford Fire Rescue

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Comments are closed

Just Posted

Langford teens reunited with family after rescue near Chemainus

Friends spent night in missing truck, spotted by RCMP helicopter

VicPD investigating ‘anti-Canadian’ graffiti at Fairfield home

Canada Day items on display vandalized with spray paint

West Shore RCMP looking for suspects after $3,000 worth of cosmetics stolen

Suspects allegedly stole high-end beauty products from Langford Shoppers Drug Mart

B.C. records 31 new cases, six deaths over three days due to COVID-19

There are 166 active cases in B.C., 16 people in hospital

B.C. homeowners plead for action on condo insurance crisis

Strata property fees growing bigger than mortgage payments

Indigenous man behind complaint of BC Transplant’s alcohol abstinence policy has died

David Dennis, who is Nuu-chah-nulth, argued that six-month sobriety policy is a ‘lethal form of racism’

ICBC to resume road tests in July with priority for rebookings, health-care workers

Tests have been on hold for four months due to COVID-19

Restaurant to be converted into housing for people experiencing homelessness

BC Housing buys popular Campbell River eatery for $985,000 to serve as bridge housing

Urge travellers to follow COVID-19 rules in a ‘gentle way’: B.C.’s top doctor

Cases surging in the U.S. have B.C. officials hoping the border stays shut all summer

96-year-old woman scales B.C. butte with help of family, friends

‘I did as I was told and I enjoyed every minute of it’

Parallel crises: How COVID-19 exacerbated B.C.’s drug overdose emergency

Part 1: Officials say isolation, toxic drug supply, CERB, contributing to crisis

Most Read