Emergency crews were called to a chimney fire at 28 Lekwungen Lane on the Songhees Nation early Thursday afternoon.
While the call initially came in as a chimney fire, View Royal Fire Chief Paul Hurst said it was quickly upgraded to a building fire.
The fire spread through the floor and walls of the first floor of one unit in the fourplex but was contained to the attic space.
“Crews had to cut open exterior and interior walls … They had to be aggressive so the fire didn’t spread,” Hurst said, adding they were able to contain the blaze to one unit and the others were not damaged.
While crews are still investigating, he noted the cause of the fire was likely failing mortar around the unit’s wood stove. Over time heat from the fireplace caused the wood in the floor and wall to ignite.
Hurst estimated the damage to be between $30,000 to $40,000 and expected the residents of that unit to be displaced for an extended period of time due to the damage.
Chimney fire at 28 Lukwungen Ln in View Royal. Everyone got out of the house safely. No flames but firefighters are going to break into the chimney to ensure the fire is extinguished. pic.twitter.com/NR0ifs3NWq— Goldstream Gazette (@GoldstreamNews) March 1, 2018
Roughly 20 firefighters from the View Royal, Colwood and Esquimalt departments were on scene with three fire trucks, an ambulance and another emergency vehicle. Hurst thanked the neighbouring departments for their assistance, noting it helped with the outcome of this fire.
View Royal and Colwood’s Emergency Social Services has been contacted to help the four displaced residents.
No one was injured in the fire and working smoke detectors alerted residents to the blaze so they were able to safely exit the building before firefighters arrived on scene.