File photo

Province opens bid for Douglas Street bus lanes

Northbound lanes could cost $12.75-million

A dedicated bus lane along the Douglas Street corridor could be a reality by as early as next fall.

The B.C. government opened a construction bid Tuesday morning to extend the northbound Douglas Street bus lanes from Tolmie Avenue to the Burnside Bridge.

The bid follows the City of Victoria’s tender for southbound bus and bikes lanes from Tolmie to Hillside Avenues, which closes later this month. The goal is to widen Douglas in order to provide priority bus lanes that Mayor Lisa Helps has previously said she hopes lead to 24/7 bus service.

“We are listening to people’s concerns and ideas and are committed to bringing in the right solutions to clear up the traffic congestion in our region,” said Mitzi Dean, MLA for Esquimalt-Metchosin, in a press release.

The project is estimated to cost $12.75 million, with the provincial government expected to contribute $8.1 million, and the federal government the remaining $4.6 million under the Public Transit Infrastructure Fund.

Bus lanes from Goldstream Avenue to the Trans-Canada Highway on-ramp are also being considered by the Victoria Regional Transit Commission, the City of Colwood and the Town of View Royal.

lauren.boothby@vicnews.com

Ministry of Transportation

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Baby raccoon rescued from 10-foot deep Saanich drainage pipe

‘Its cries were loud, pitiful and heartbreaking,’ Saanich animal control officer says

Police respond to successful Facebook scam on Oak Bay resident

Petty thievery in King George Terrace where plants, gargoyle are missing

Owner of Langford construction company gets nine months for sexual assault

Kyle Mostowy already spent time in prison for sexually assaulting employees

UPDATE: Incident near Mount Douglas Park ‘strictly medical,’ Saanich police say

Intoxicated person taken into police custody, brought to hospital

Victoria Clipper suspends services through April 2021

International travel restrictions, COVID-19 uncertainty lead to decision

B.C. records 62 new COVID-19 cases, two deaths since Friday

Province has just over 200 active cases

Hotel rooms for B.C. homeless too hasty, NDP government told

Businesses forced out, but crime goes down, minister says

Suspicious fire quenched before reaching gunpowder in Nanaimo’s historic Bastion

Probe underway in basement blaze that erupted near where powder stored to fire signature cannons

Duncan model makes quarter finals in ‘Maxim’ magazine contest

Brandee Peart among top one per cent left in competition

Wage subsidy will be extended until December amid post-COVID reopening: Trudeau

Trudeau said the extension will ‘give greater certainty and support to businesses’

B.C. government prepares for COVID-19 economic recovery efforts

New measures after July consultation, Carole James says

Fisherman snags barracuda off Vancouver Island in rare encounter

Ferocious fish, not native to Canada, was netted and released in Alberni Inlet

Tree planters get help with COVID-19 protective measures

Ottawa funds extra transportation, sanitizing for crews

Most Read