Saanich news briefs

Oil fire damages home; cougar seen on West Saanich

Oil fire sends one person to hospital

One person was taken to hospital after a pan of oil caught fire in their home, engulfing the kitchen in flames.

Saanich fire crews were called to the 100-block of Lurline Ave. around 10 p.m. on Sunday (July 29) and arrived to find smoke billowing out of the single-storey home.

The kitchen fire was quickly extinguished.

A resident of the home was taken to hospital with injuries to his arms.

Cougar seen in rural West Saanich

A cougar sighting was reported in the 5300-block of Westhome Rd. near the Roadhouse Bar & Grill in West Saanich.

The report came in to Saanich police around 10:20 p.m. on Sunday (July 29), adding to the numerous cougar sightings this summer.