Victoria building houses 25 low-wage earners

Society opens its second apartment project this year

Kenneth Randall sits in his studio apartment in Pembroke Mews

‘Tis the spring of affordable and supported housing.

On Tuesday, the Greater Victoria Housing Society celebrated the completion and full occupation of its second housing project this season, with two more potentially in the works.

Pembroke Mews, at the corner of Pembroke and Government Streets, offers 25 bachelor and one-bedroom units to low-income, working singles. The main floor – slated for commercial space, is owned by Knappett Projects, which constructed the building.

Tenant Kenneth Randall, 24, moved into one of the bachelor pads in February, after a string of living situations which included some time couch surfing and a stint in the closed Princess Mary restaurant.

The skateboarder works at Cabin 12, a restaurant often near the brink, whose dedicated staff put in a lot of volunteer hours to make it go, said Randall. Having a stable place to live as the restaurant went through a move made life a lot easier, he said.

“When the roof is leaking (or other things go wrong at home) you don’t realize how much it clouds your mind and affects you,” he said.

He now pays $610 per month in rent.

The City of Victoria contributed $250,000 to the project through its housing trust fund.

At the announcement Tuesday, Mayor Dean Fortin called housing affordability the region’s biggest challenge.

“We are willing to face these challenges,” he said. “It makes our city richer in so many ways.”

The affordable housing project is just one in a series announced in short order.

Earlier this month, the city finished the first phase of a major renovation project to the former Traveller’s Inn hotel it purchased on Queens Avenue.

The Greater Victoria Housing Society also recently completed construction of an affordable project at 21 Gorge Rd. E. It has recently submitted a rezoning proposal with a similar vision for the property next door – the former Friendly Inn – and is conducting a feasibility study on a third property.

On Friday, expect another housing announcement in Saanich on the site of the old Mt. View School. The project, called Vergo townhouses at 3808 Carey Rd., consists of affordable family housing.

rholmen@vicnews.com

Pembroke Mews project partners:

• Government of Canada: $655,000 Residential Rehabilitation Assistance Program grant

• City of Victoria: $250,000 through Housing Trust Fund

• United Way: $100,000 in funding

• Province of B.C.: supported long-term financing of $2 million

• Business support from Knappett Construction, Coast Capital Savings, Home Depot

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Sidney cadet takes home gold at South Island Zone biathlon

‘Rising star’ sets her sights on provincials

Future space homes could be made of mushrooms

NASA explores use of fungi to build structures in space

Meet Arthur Heart, Oak Bay Avenue’s resident stickman

Contest winner dubs stickman Art Heart

All Carlton Cards stores closing in the coming weeks

Schurman Retail Group stores across North America will close, including 79 in Canada

Four things ‘not’ to do if you run into Prince Harry and Meghan in B.C.

Here is a list of some things you definitely should NOT do, according to the BBC

Greater Victoria Crime Stoppers wanted list for the week of Jan. 21

Greater Victoria Crime Stoppers is seeking the public’s help in locating the… Continue reading

B.C.-based Coulson Aviation C-130 crashes in Australia

Three people are confirmed dead in the crash in New South Wales

B.C. RCMP spent roughly $750K on massive manhunt for Port Alberni men

Manitoba RCMP helped with 17-day search through the province’s northern terrain

Island Bakery in Cobble Hill to close

Cobble Hill store in business since 1982

Man killed by police in Lytton called 911, asking to be shot: RCMP

Howard Schantz, also known as Barry Schantz was killed following a standoff at his Lytton home

Canadian public health agencies ramping up preparations in response to new virus

Health officials have said there are no confirmed cases of the emerging coronavirus in Canada

‘Naughty boy’: Monty Python star Terry Jones dies at 77

The comedian has been suffering from a rare form of dementia

Most Read