Saanich council passed an order Monday night requiring the property owner at 999 Tattersall Dr. to take down this portable tarp structure

When a tent becomes a building

Tattersall homeowner gets heat from Saanich for shelter

Joseph Nash didn’t get a building permit to pitch a tent in his yard – so the municipality is forcing him to take it down.

The portable shelter was installed in early 2010 and has sat aside his house, at 999 Tattersall Dr., ever since. The tent is 10 by 20 feet in area, and is made from a metal frame with a protective canvas and plastic tarp around it.

A drawn-out dispute process that spanned 26 months ended last week when Nash unsuccessfully tried to convince Saanich council to let him keep his tent erect.

“I’m questioning that these are actually structures. There’s been no independent decision, there’s not been a chance to determine this is any sort of court of law that these stands are considered structures and therefore come under the jurisdiction of the B.C. building code,” Nash said to council last week. “And I’m saying they do not. They are not structures. This process should not have come to this point. It should be quashed.”

Saanich’s bylaw department argued that because the tent has been up for more than two years, it is considered a permanent structure, which was installed without a permit. As well, it was built too close to the property line.

“They are what they are – they’re temporary. We consider them structures and that’s the way we’ve been going for the last couple years,” said bylaw enforcement officer Perry Carrigan. “We have a standard letter we send out to the violators telling them they’re welcome to apply for a building permit, if they can get engineering specifications that meet the requirements of the building code.”

Council unanimously supported the bylaw department’s order to have the structure removed.

Once Nash is issued notice, he will have 60 days to dismantle the tent, otherwise the municipality will have the right to send its own crews or a contractor on the site to take it down themselves, at Nash’s expense.

kslavin@saanichnews.com

 

 

Just Posted

UVic students return from Hong Kong amidst growing tension

All eight University of Victoria exchange students have returned to Canada

ICBC, province urge residents to plan ahead for winter weather

Greater Victoria should gear up and have a plan in place

65-million-year-old triceratops makes its debut in Victoria

Dino Lab Inc. is excavating the fossilized remains of a 65-million-year-old dinosaur

Tillicum Centre evacuated after false alarm in Save-On-Foods

A fire alarm was mistakenly activated by falling food

VIDEO: ‘Climate emergency’ is Oxford’s 2019 Word of the Year

Other words on the shortlist included ‘extinction,’ ‘climate denial’ and ‘eco-anxiety’

POLL: Do you plan on making any purchases on Black Friday?

We’ve all seen the images. Shoppers rioting outside of a store in… Continue reading

Greater Victoria Crime Stoppers wanted list for the week of Nov. 19

Greater Victoria Crime Stoppers is seeking the public’s help in locating the… Continue reading

Canucks erupt with 5 power-play goals in win over Nashville

Vancouver ends three-game slide with 6-3 triumph over Predators

Nanaimo man caught with more than 200,000 child porn images to be sentenced

Crown says Aaron Macrae recorded video of children on buses and at his workplace

Vancouver Island hunters may have harvested deer in area known for chronic wasting disease

Conservation officers make urgent request to public for any information

B.C. widow suing health authority after ‘untreatable’ superbug killed her husband

New Public Agency Health report puts Canadian death toll at 5,400 in 2018

Changes to B.C. building code address secondary suites, energy efficiency

Housing Minister Selina Robinson says the changes will help create more affordable housing

Most Read